Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's a project that I'm considering at the moment.

I have a screamin deal on an 83 scottsdale 2 wheel drive truck, that is like in near mint shape.

If I were to buy this truck the thing I want is 4x4.

I have an entire other running, driving 84 4x4 truck with a weak frame under it.

So I guess my question is how hard is it to swap the 4x4 out and install into the new truck?

I always thought that all the frames were generic, with all holes in all frames, and it would be all bolt in stuff.

Is there anything I'm missing? If this job is just too much, I might have second thoughts on buying it in the first place.

I cant find any good 4x4 in my area except for a few that ppl want waaayyyy more than they are worth. I practically have all parts needed already to do this I think. What do you guys think?? Also, is there any other liks dealing with this specific issue? or, any online articles on this?

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
These guys will definitely be able to tell you what you need to do. Its a slower moving board, but you'd be hard pressed to find group anywhere else that know more about these trucks.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/

There's a light truck wreckers near me that said I could convert my '87 1/2 ton to a 1 ton Dually if I wanted. Maybe the frames are the same with different spring perches and transmission cross beams. All the spring perches on these are hot riveted, I'd think you can drill them out & use Grade 8 bolts.

Gear

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
the difference between a half ton and a one ton frame is substantial. the one ton is much sturdier i dont know any specifics but from following a buddy whos into 4x4's buddy around junk yards i have seen examples of both half and one ton 80's chevy truck frames. like comparing a stick to a log.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
He is asking the difference between a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive frame............not 1/2 ton and 1 ton........But, its good to know.

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
i figured thats what he was asking, i didnt know, but i thought id add the tid bit of knowledge i did know, i'll get ahold of my 4x4 buddy this afternoon and ask him if he knows the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drives.

BTW have you tried googling the subject?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Having a 79 Chev C-10
Used to have a 78 K-10

They are different--spring perches, suspension hangars, engine mounts,
and some subtle frame horn dimensions from the cab forward.

Also-----the floor of a 2 wheel drive truck is very different than a 4x4.
This difference is not only in the trans tunnel----but under the seat as well.

You would be much better off locating a 4x4 chassis that is in good shape and go from there----then your only modification would be the cab floor, which--if you already have a thrashed 4x4 cab--could provide the floor piece.

Bryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad I asked, I think I might do more searching on this, then, probably sell it all and buy a horse and buggy :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts