Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Owner of a broken cart
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86' 305 that I need to convert over to manual.

What is currently on the 305 is a flexplate with a counterweight on it.

I am changing over to a clutch application, so I need to change the motor over to a flywheel.
How would I balance a new fly wheel to this application? Or can one be purchased readily?

Thanks in advance :D(y)

Attachments

·
Owner of a broken cart
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im assuming I just order a manual trans flywheel for that same engine year, and I would be ok? Dont want to get it all together and screw it up with wrong flywheel balance.

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Yes, the stock replacement flywheel for an '86-up 1-piece rear main seal engine will balance out the same as the flexplate...it'll have that offset weight already built into it.

When Chevrolet went to the 1-piece seal design, that big round flange left no place for the offset shape that is on the older 2-piece seal crank flange....so they had to move that amount of weight to the flywheel/flexplate. All 1-piece seal flywheel/flexplates are balanced the same.

Only exception would be custom fully internally balanced aftermarket race 1-piece seal crankshafts....not stock replacement parts.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There is a balance plate available for 2-piece RMS , that allows you to use a nuetral balance flywheel On external bal SBC , it bolts between the flywheel & the crank flange , I don't know if its available for the 1-piece rms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.