Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get convert some of the fusible links in my system, 70's GM, over to inline fuses. Is this a good idea? I can't see issues, but thought I would put it to the board for guidance.

I am using some of the diagrams from MadElectrical.com as my reference.

What size inline would you recommend for the alternator to Battery? In the example it is a 14 ga fusible link

What size inline would you use for the line that powers the internal fuse block? In the example it is a 16 ga fusible link

My alternator is an externally regulated GM system.

Obviously the lower the gauge fusible link the more amperage it will hold prior to melting. For what amperage with the 10, 12, 14 and 16ga fusible links be rated?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless you're having trouble, why change?
I dont think a fuse on the alternator is a good idea vs the fuse link. Fuse links are "slow blow", they can handle a momentary surge of amps, but a fuse cannot.
If you really want a fuse, I would suggest a Maxi fuse or cartridge type fuse. They are a little tougher than the regular fuses.

As far as what fuse rating for the alternator, What is your alt rated at? If it is a 65 amp alt, you need a fuse that big, etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Follow that link and read. It's a good, short summary and even gives recommended sizes!
Don't change if you don't have to!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to bring this back from the dead. :)

I'm trying to repair some wiring in a '85 Trans Am. There are two headlight motors and a foglight relay that get power through 16 gauge wire connected with 22 gauge fusible links. I've searched high and low and can't find any 22 gauge wire. I also wanted to install inline fuses (links are blown due to previous owner... now I'm cleaning up the wiring mess) but I can't find any circuit amp information, and for this application, fusible links are probably best. I am curious if I could use 20 gauge fusible link wire (standard 6" long) for the three 16 gauge power wires. That's the recommended 4 gauges smaller like everything I have read says to do, but yet bigger than the factory wiring diagram. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Littlefuse doesn't sell fusible links (I called them myself). :rolleyes: Can I just use 20 gauge fusible link wire, which is the smallest I can find (and which is recommended from everything I've read) or can I pop in a 15A or so ATO fuse (Maxi starts @ 20A)?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
super_kev said:
Littlefuse doesn't sell fusible links (I called them myself). :rolleyes: Can I just use 20 gauge fusible link wire, which is the smallest I can find (and which is recommended from everything I've read) or can I pop in a 15A or so ATO fuse (Maxi starts @ 20A)?

Doc here, :pimp:

Go with the 20 Amp link, If that's all you can find.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
russlaferrera said:
What about circuitbrakers?
Doc here, :pimp:

A thermal reset would be OK..

If it is/Has been a trouble spot, that your worried about, and can't locate the proper link..Go UN~Graft a set at the bone yard..AND do some Corrosion / Bonding Maintenance on the system and inspect the motors also..something has changed over stock, over time causing this problem.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
NAPA (at least in Canada) sells fusible links as either pre-made with the eyelets assembled or as bulk wire (10 ft.?) in little clamshell packages under the UNE (Belden) product line. These are usually retail packs displayed on peg-board carousels.

HTH,
Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
docvette said:
Go with the 20 Amp link, If that's all you can find.

I assume you mean a 20 gauge link. ;)

66GMC said:
NAPA (at least in Canada) sells fusible links as either pre-made with the eyelets assembled or as bulk wire...
Yes, but only up to 20 gauge (at least here in the U.S.), not 22. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 92 mustang 5.0........i want to change the fusible links (18 guage-20 guage ) to blade type fuse. can i do this? will it hurt any thing? thinking about 30 amp fuses . read 30 amp would do the job.these fuses will run main computer power and fuel pump relay. under hood near battery. is this ok to do ?, if it isn't than why have manufactures done away with links???and gone to blade fuses???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts