Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 98 5.7 Vortec engine to upgrade a 70's Nova. The block had a oil filter adapter on it that included fittings to route to an oil cooler. Looking at it I assumed that I could remove the attached extension and I could convert to just screwing a filter directly to the block and not have to purchase an oil cooler or have the line fittings blocked off.

But once I unbolted the attachment I noticed there was a faily large sized cavity in the block and it didn't at first glance look like it could be converted.

What is the most common method to adapt the newer roller block to accept a standard oil filter to block configuration?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
DoubleVision said:
All I did was unbolt the adapter off a mid 70`s 350 block I had laying around and bolted it on to the roller block.
DV has it right- the older filter adaptor is a bolt-on.

I always block off the pressure relief in the adaptor while it's off, but you don't have to do this. But it does force all the oil through the filter, but you can't just do it w/o keeping an eye on the oil pressure because as the filter clogs, there is a drop in pressure. This is only an issue if the oil and filter isn't changed regularly.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Can't believe Scoggins wants $38 for one! And another $12 for a plug to block off the bypass.

Don't forget to roll w/the bolts from the 305 engine. They're 1-1/4" long, in case you need to know. Torque is about 8 ft/lb.

There's a gasket that can be used between the adaptor and block, but it's not needed, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.