Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here know if a person can convert this type of spindle mount wheels to lug mount? Can the centers be somehow removed and the five indentations be drilled out for a lug pattern? Didn't where to post this.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
I believe those wheels are 2 halves, welded together around the center, with a stiffener between the halves in the lug face section of the wheel.
Your set happens to have the spindle mount hub in place of the stiffener.

The wheels only come apart by cutting the weld around the center......cost to remove the spindle mount hub and either replace with the stiffener or machine the center out of the spindle hub and re-use it, then weld the two wheel halves back together will be pretty prohibitive to this entire job.
You'll likely have a hard time even finding anyone to do it. Liability reasons.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
They are not lug holes they are bolt holes.

They align the spindle keeping it centered and allowing for (very) slight adjustment during manufacturing. You need to respect when and how these were made.

It is not the worst setup. But modern manufacturing can make a stronger rim at a similar if not lighter weight.

Even if you were to "self center" the hub with lug nuts and a plate to keep the lugs from digging into the rim. There is no "good" way to remove or modify that inner hub/race so that a lug style hub can pass inside it to carry the rim.

It is just not worth messing with and sketchy safety wise if you could do all the machining and welding.

They are pretty. Set them on a shelf or hang them on a wall.

I would keep them around as art and if someone wanted them I would let the pair go for $100.

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Generally, the only place you saw those wheels was on Top Sportsman/Super Gas Bracket dragsters, Gas roadsters, and Altereds from around 1980 and newer. They were popular for a while.
Probably fetch a decent amount to a guy that actually needs a set of spindle mounts.
It's either a Weld Draglight or Cragar Superlight if my memory don't fail me.
Tough part is determining what Brand/Make spindle do they fit.
More and better pictures would help to nail them down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts