Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I have been looking for a remote transmission cooling tank for my '48 Chebby. I can not find any radiator co. that makes anything that I can addapt.

Here's the problem: I am replacing the tired 216 splasher with a '79 250 cid inline six backed up with a TH350. My OEM radiator is in excellent condition and I would like to retain it but it does not have a cooling tank for the tranny. I need to know if anyone makes a remote tank for such a swap.

Thanks for any help with this problem.

Al

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about cold weather? Will that not effect the shifting? I had thought about just running a cooler but someone mentioned the cold weather factor. Since I live in Texas, cold temperature is not much of a problem. The cooler is by far the less expensive route if I can get the same results. Thanks killer for your input.

Al :)

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
what about having a local radiator shop just replace one of your end tanks' with one that has a cooler in it ?

usualy "in radiator" systems are usualy the best way to go because that way the oil temp isnt effected my ambient air temp

usualy add on tranny coolers are labeled "auxillary" coolers and are still ment to be used in conjunction w/ the in radiator cooler by plumbing the hot oil into the Aux' cooler first, then thru the radiator cooler in order to get the trany fluid at the proper temp

by using only an aux cooler, your tranny would run way to cold when its a cold day and your doing 75 on the highway, and it would run way to hot on a 90 degree day when your stuck in traffic

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your suggestions, this helps me in my decision.

Al

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just install a add on trany cooler behind the radiator, if you have the room. I have run stuff this way for years with out any trany problems , unless you are in - temps in the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts