Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I had my wife's little suzuki engine appart I noticed that the cylinder water jackets were covered with a thick maybe .050 or more of this whitish scale, looks like plaster to me, anyway I managed to scrape it off completelly from the block since the cylinder liners are totally exposed with the head off, but there is no way to scrape this stuff off the water jackets of the head, I flushed it with a pressure washer as much as possible but there is a lot yet to be removed from inside, I worry the head will overheat due to poor heat transfer.

I re-assembled the engine already and I wish to flush this mess off with the engine running, what kind of stuff shoul I add to the coolant water to remove it? maybe lots of vinegar or some other soft acid like phosforic acid or what?
the radiator, head and block are aluminum, bear in mind this please.

thanks.

Augusto.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi Augusto,
This acid is safe to use, it wont harm aluminum or copper or your seals, Oxalic Acid, add it to plain water, put the radiator cap on & let it run for awhile, the heat & circulation helps with the cleaning, then flush it out till clear water, fill with water again & put the baking soda in now let that run a little while drain & fill with coolant.
Rich
oxalic acid, neutralizer baking soda.

Found this stuff, don't know anything about it.
http://www.rmidepot.com/

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oxalic? good, actually I have it, I use it to passivate stainless steel, the one that I have comes as powder, is it the same that you talk about?

dou you know the concentration or percentage of it to add to water?

that RMI stuff is not available here, I have never seen it.

thanks for repliying.

Augusto.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have used Oxalic Acid with great success on my dishwasher. I lived in the country and the tannin in my well water would stain the dishwasher insides orange. The oxalic acid worked wonders to clean the orange off.

Oxalic acid also will cause hairslip in a deer skin, if you need to remove the hair in a hurry. An over nite soaking will do it.

No reason why it won't work for you. I bought mine at a Safeway pharmacy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi Augusto,
From 338-395Grams, heck might as well go for 454.
Baking soda 90g
Rich

DENCOUCH, Didn't know about the hair thing, but will be using it, a friend & I dress deer, I'm sure it will save us a lot of time, we do this out of season also, two months ago we got 20 deer from the state, this part is nuts, the deer came from Philadelphia, at night they have snipers with night vision scopes & silencers thin the herds & the people that live around there have no idea as to whats going on
Thanks you,
Rich

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is a saying here that I'm not sure how to translate but would be something like:

"the devil knows more stuff because he is old than because he is the devil"

thanks a lot.

Augusto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.