Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to make prints of this painting, would it be considered to be a copyright infringement because I've included the "Energizer Bunny" in the composition?

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably not... unless you're trying to SELL them...
It's kind of a mixed bag - some companies will allow you to use their trademark, provided it is not used in a negative manner, and for profit, and then some will not allow any use of reference to their trademarks, logos, etc. whatsoever. To do so puts you at risk of a copyright infringement lawsuit, cease and desist order, and confiscation of any unsold product. A good example was a tee shirt that I designed with my artwork, and included the "Soldier On" lettering. I was going to have 100 shirts printed, and was going to give them out to disabled veterans at a local car show, free of charge. I did write the organization explaining what I was going to do, and I was told that I could not use the trademark, "Soldier On" under any circumstances!
I will probably have 10 or so of the energizer bunny design printed, and keep them for myself, and that shouldn't create any problems, (unless the "battery" police happen to see me wearing one!)

·
Administrator
18,523 Posts
Professional photographers put a water mark on their prints that they post on the internet to protect from copying......I would think that Energizer would be smart enough to do the same if they wanted that image protected.......Then again, that picture may have been made without their permission.
My thoughts are, if its on the net, its pretty much free domain..........Don't quote me on that.......:D

·
Registered
772 Posts
It is always best to ask. Sometimes they require a fee and you pay it and all is good.
Copyright is not like a patent. The patent you can copy for personal use but the copy right or trade mark you can't use without written permission, not even if they are for personal use or for charity.
I have always asked in the past because I have had people violate my copyright. Of all the times I asked I was asked to pay a fee - it was less than $100 so I paid it and was careful not to violate the permission granted. The rest people and businesses have always given me permission.
I am not the copyright police and I don't tell others that they are breaking the law - I just won't do it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES!!! the energizer bunny is well copied and the company will fight every single person that profits from the use of this trademark.

Dont think for a second its ok. They are sue so fast that you will loose anything that you make and more. Since they will sue for more than you ever made you will need to hire a lawyer and in the end even just saying your sorry and loosing the case will be very costly. Best to not use any one elses logo or materials. Some cars are also copy written. Lambo and ferrari both do this and will fight like there life depended on it.

Notice most companies dont say they make lambo doors any more they call them anything else since the saying lambo doors are now a infringement of there copy right. This is from several law suits that they have won.

You should also be aware that many older cars and customs are copy written there image or likeness rights. Barris creations is one that does not allow reproduction without permission. So you can't do a batmobil image but also none of there custom chop and channeled cars either. Same goes for foose and boyd.
That's what I kind of figured. It's just not worth the problems associated with it. So, screw the stinkin' little rabbit!:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, appreciate the compliment! I have many of my paintings in "brickyardboy's photo album" in the right-hand corner of my posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts