Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone: I have a Turbo 350 Tranny complete that works good that came out of a Chev van, year unknown. It has a small square electrical plug on the left side behind the shift shaft. I am told this is for the lock up clutch. Several people have told me not to use this unit behind my 320 cu in GMC powered street rod as it is not strong enough. They say I should use a regular 350 w/o the lockup feature as the shafts are stronger. Can someone enlighten me? Ed Farrell

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
I'm not a tranny expert, but if you don't hook up the switch, you will have a non locking turbo 350. You could just connect it to a toggle switch, but you would have to remember to switch it off as you come to a stop, or the engine will stall.

As for the strength, I don't know...............someone here does, I'm sure.

That's your cue, Crosby.....Stu......

·
Administrator
9,832 Posts
poncho62 said:
That's your cue, Crosby...
poncho;
you need to get yer glasses checked for spelling.

The t-350C has equal strength to the non lock up t-350 tranny.

The weak point is the early design lock up converter clutch. You can have a converter built with out a clutch or

convert the lockup 350 to a non lock up by changing the pump , stator, input shaft to non lock up pieces.

Hopefully this tranny is a t-350C.... there is a T-250C variant . The 250C will have a threaded stud with nut sticking out from the case near the cooler line fittings. 250C is a weaker tranny

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Crosley said:
poncho;
you need to get yer glasses checked for spelling.

Sorry, buddy...................was thinking of "Bing"

Both short an "L"...............he was Bing and you are "BLING".

OK, Bad joke.............................never mind

1 - 5 of 5 Posts