Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 454 Corvette C3 which I've fitted the Edelbrock Fuel Injection and engine management kit. I had to save for a while for this kit but it works very well indeed.

Not surprisingly I have a hood clearance problem and am not prepared to cut the 454 hood on my Vette.

I thought a neat solution might be to fit a form of cold air induction system fed from the two grilles at under the lights. Whilst this might not be the easiest solution it could solve my hood clearance problem and lower intake temperature.

I'm very much an amateur so any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try a "Ray" hood...they have a taller built in non Functional scoop, and sit higher on the body..

Plugging of the front grills although may seem like a good Idea, may cause engine bay heat to rise exssively..Vettes run hot anyway..I've used "Portions " of the air dams for cooling things off before with no Ill effects..but never diverted the full frontal scoop..so I don't know what that would do to bay temps..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - could that be an L88 short hood

Thanks Doc, small world! I've had a surf for the ray style hood and drawn a semi-blank. I found a short L88 from Corvette Central that seems higher #143050. It states that it's without a fresh air chamber, sounds like I'm missing out on some good fresh air here or am I confused? What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try Evil~Bay..or Craig's list..Those hoods are drying up ...or Do a search for Corvette Specific Wrecking yards..

The problem comes in when guy's order an aftermarket manifold, and fail to include "Corvette Body" when they order it..no specific 350 manifolds sit highest than stock..and the result usually is non closing hood..

As far as the air flow, open up as mush space as you can..on restos with new molding gaskets are air tight, and don't move cool air through the engine bay well..On such remedy that has worked for me is , If the Side Vents are Deco and not functional, Open them up..cut away the glass under them into the engine bay..this will help push out hot air..The other is mounting some 3 or 4 inch flex dryer vent from the nose-piece air dam to the engine bay directed at the engine block left and right..

These Two items have reduced temps by 20 to 30 degrees..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate your advice Doc - I now have a plan and I'll let you know how it worked.

Thanks again - Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
C-3 hood

I used a mid seventies high rise hood on my 69 427 and ditched the windshield wiper door and original hood. It gives you a couple more inches, and pulls air from the back in front of the windshield. I bought it at the Pomona swapmeet. I've seen those stingray hoods-I think I've seen a link on the digital corvettes website, but I can't remember the name-someone at digital would know. There is also a super tall hood that looks almost prostocker, without a scoop.

also try www.carhoods.com

·
Registered
840 Posts
The super-tall hood (taller than an L-88) will clear a small blower on a small block. The L-88 hood clears a RPM intake and holley carb easily on a small block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a message from Corvette Central that the L88 hood #143050 provides an additional 4.5'' of clearance although I suspect this might be over the stock 350 not my 454 hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts