Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting a late model corvette IRS in my 37 Ford Coupe - is there anything special I need to watch out for? I am a bit conserned the Link bars are so short and am considering lenghting them for additional stability. Would this be worth the effort?

Thanks

Clark

·
Administrator
9,766 Posts
moving to suspension forum , perhaps a few more answers

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
37FordCoupe said:
I am considering putting a late model corvette IRS in my 37 Ford Coupe - is there anything special I need to watch out for? I am a bit conserned the Link bars are so short and am considering lenghting them for additional stability. Would this be worth the effort?

Thanks

Clark
Why does stability concern you? The Corvette the suspension came out of didn't have stability issues so, if you put the C4 components in the stock locations, your '37 shouldn't either...
If you do lengthen them you should know what you are doing so you don't screw up the geometry and "create" stability issues...
Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
I`m with Mark, if the links are kept at fatory length there should not be an issue, I`m still currently running eight inch under mine with a 9-nine inch waiting in the wings...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
astroracer said:
Why does stability concern you? The Corvette the suspension came out of didn't have stability issues so, if you put the C4 components in the stock locations, your '37 shouldn't either...
If you do lengthen them you should know what you are doing so you don't screw up the geometry and "create" stability issues...
Mark
Mark - That is why I am looking for the feedback - The Roll Center and CG on a 37 is significantly higher then a Vette - Therefore stability becomes an issue as roll centers and CG change - especially with a short arm rear suspension - Sounds like this solution has alrady been tried successfully, then I will not be to concerned - Thanks for the feedback

Clark

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hey Clark,
The Cg will definitely be altered from the Corvette Cg but Roll Center is tied more into the suspension itself.
You haven't said what your intentions are for the front suspension. This will have a direct input on Roll Center even more then the rear. Do you have the same plans for up front?
Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
astroracer said:
Hey Clark,
The Cg will definitely be altered from the Corvette Cg but Roll Center is tied more into the suspension itself.
You haven't said what your intentions are for the front suspension. This will have a direct input on Roll Center even more then the rear. Do you have the same plans for up front?
Mark

Mark

Up front I am planning a drop spindle M2. Thanks for the feedback

Clark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts