Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Crusty Streetrodder
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping an '87 Corvette rearend into a '39 Buick coupe, and I'm not sure what the settled height of the Corvette rearend will be at ride height for the car.

The car is stripped down so much now that I won't be able to determine the weight on the rear axle, so my question is what is a reasonable expectation for the weight over the rear axle? I can compress the suspension artificially with that weight to find the actual ride height, then do my fabrication to the frame with threaded rod in place of the transverse leaf to hold the RE at that height. But I'll take actual numbers if anyone has them. I've been to a few specialty sites, but I haven't been able to find the info I need for this specific car.

However, I'm thinking that pretty much any late 30s to mid 40s coupe will be about the same weight within a couple hundred pounds.

George

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I would think that you would set your suspension up so that the halfshafts were angled slightly down at your chosen ride height, then adjust the spring stack to get your correct spring rate at that ride height.

The spring rate is secondary to the geometry of the suspension links. Don't set up the suspension to adjust to the spring rate.

That is how I'd do it.

Later, mikey

·
Old Crusty Streetrodder
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Mikey,

I gathered that from another thread as well. This is my first Corvette IRS, and I'm finding out that the techniques I've used for setting up parallel leaf suspensions don't work here.

The geometry with respect to the driveline seems easy, since the diff is fixed with the framerails. Setting the half shaft height seems to be a function of adjusting the height of the spring at ride height.

The challenge here is that the IRS uses a monoleaf, so unless there is some provision for adjusting the spring height (and ride height) or perhaps choose from an assortment of variable arc springs, it seems that I'm stuck with what I've got.

I definitely have to get smarter before I do my first cut.

George

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If you need some help with a spring after you do your initial installation, Eaton Detroit spring is very knowlegable and one of the best sources for custom springs there is.
They are a spring manufacturer with 70 years experience making springs.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

Later, mikey

·
Registered
4 Posts
vette rear

i have a 82 under 29 pick up the 1\2 shafts i set at a 2 degree drop to out side this keeps ujoints workking I used allthread to set it up but used coilovers instead of cross spring on your car it might be some what top heavy Id add a sway barr to help out that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.