Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Boattail Speedster has a vacuum-boosted Corvette style master cylinder. The paint has peeled off around the top of the bowl due to brake fluid seepage from a poor seal of the clip-on lid. I believe I have corrected that problem. But I am not sure I can repaint the master cylinder and not have the problem return.

So I have 2 questions: Is there a proper way to paint it where it can tolerate brake fluid seepage?

Second question is I am thinking about replacing it with a chromed cast iron cylinder. I do not know what the bore size is but would like the brakes to be a bit more sensitive to brake pedal pressure from my foot. If I pull the cylinder away from the booster is it possible to determine the current bore? If I want a more sensitve pedal feel how do I choose the bore? The front and rear brakes are disc with single cylinder Chevy S10 calipers on all wheels. Car weights 3250 pounds. Front rotors are 10.8". Not sure about the back but I believe are smaller.

Thx.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use epoxy primer, urethane primer on top of that and then a urethane finish (single stage or base clear). I disassemble the master, bake it at 400* to get rid of the junk left behind, clean with acetone then finish. The machined surfaces are left unfinished. So far so good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use epoxy primer, urethane primer on top of that and then a urethane finish (single stage or base clear). I disassemble the master, bake it at 400* to get rid of the junk left behind, clean with acetone then finish. The machined surfaces are left unfinished. So far so good.
Thank you for sharing your process. It certainly sounds like all the proper steps. How long do you bake it at 400? I imagine you use the oven in the kitchen alongside a roast? Hahaha.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an old electric oven that I removed to install a gas range. It is now in my shop on wheels. I use it to bake powder coated parts and other things that need baking. I put the same plug on it that my buzz box has. Works like a champ. No, I've never powder coated a master, just don't have colors to match what I wanted. I expect it would work well. Just use the same process to clean it up before applying the powder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car was built using DOT 3. I am not inclined to deal with converting it to use DOT 5 simply because the master cylinder cosmetic issue, which is a visual distraction as the rest of the engine bay looks quite nice and fresh. The simplest solution would be to replace it with a chrome MC and bleed the system. I do like the idea of what Ford Blue Blood suggests as I could then match the color to the car's beautiful Bently Blue. I need to ruminate on it. Great feed back folks, thx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.