Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 327 67-68. I am trying to install a serpentine belt system from a 1989 5.7 camaro on it. I am wondering if i can use my powersteering pump of a 350 with just a serpentine pulley and i am also wondering the 327 has the thinner harmonic balancer and if i install a pulley on it if it will bolt up even with the system?

Also wondering if you guys know the guess hp of my motor. Its a 327 60 over trw forged pistons .125 dome. i thin they are 10.5 compression and i am running corvetter heads that are 1.94 valves with 76 cc chambers i believe maybe 74cc. Aluminum roller rockers on the heads. I am running a edelbrock performer intake. 750 double pumper holley. The cam is a solid tappet 480 lift 280 degree compcam. solid comp cam lifters. any other info i am missing i can provide? going into a 75 nova. 350 turbo tranny and i am probably going with 3.73 gears..

I pick this site because it seems you guys are the smartest guys with the most correct info in your threads.

Also the rollers are 1.60

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize for mis posting the questions. I have the serpentine belt system on the motor. I just have to get a crank pulley and powersteering pulley? Since i am using a 350 belt system and a 327 motor which crank pulley should i use? Or will this not matter? Also is there a pulley i could use to make more hp? :confused:

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Easiest thing would be to use the balancer and pulley from the 350. Both engines are Neutral/Internal balance.
The 89 350 does use a different flexplate with a balance weight because of the 1-piece rear main seal.
Under-Drive pulleys aren't worth bothering with and can create other problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the reverse wate pump already mounted. it has the smooth pulley. i just have to find crank pulley and power steering pulley. I am also wondering how my powersteering system is going to hook up to the camaros ps pump??????? is this going to be a issue to

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the 89 PS pump will have metric o-ring fittings on it, and the original (Nova?) pump will have 45° SAE flare fittings.

I just looked that pump up on NAPA Pro-Link's catalog, and it just looks like a run-of-the-mill Saginaw type, and it *does* have the metric fittings.

You should, however, be able to swap the serp belt pulley over to the Nova pump and retain the original hoses ... provided it mounts in (or close to) the same position relative to the engine block.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No i understand. You are saying put the camaros serp pulley on my novas ps pump. which is a great idea if i can just get my novas pump to bolt on the brackets of the serpentine system. it has to bolt up where the exact spot where the camaro pump would have been. I am wondering how hard it would be to just change the fittings on either one? are if i could buy/make a adapter to go from camaro pump to nona ps system? i also still have to install a crank pulley to. I am wondering if he pump can come off any 89 chevy 350. I mean they should all have the same belt system right? if so this is going to be easier than i thought. a trip to the junk yard and thats it. right guys?

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
IMO, "adapting" that metric pump to the Nova steering box would be a real PITA, and a source of many leaks.

Those Saginaw pumps (the pump only, I mean) were almost all the same, and had the same mounting hole configuration. Some of them looked a little different, but that was just the reservoir.

Here is the picture of a 1975 Nova (you never said what year) pump & reservoir.

If your Nova Pump will fit in the serp-belt bracketry AND you can swap the serp-belt pulley onto the Nova pump ... you're done! :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
If you are going to run a mechanical fan off the water pump, get the serpentine fan blade while you're at the boneyard. The pitch is totally reversed compared to a conventional vee belt fan blade. Simply turning your vee belt fan blade around will not work. It'll still blow air forward.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you guys. i have will use my 75 nova pump and just install a serp pulley on it. i alsi was going to do away with mechanical fans and install electrical??? now i just need a crank pulley off 89 camaro to install to mount on 327. does it matter if it is the thin harmonic balancer? soe one said that the size goes back to the motor not forward which is what i need it to?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.