Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to where I could find a relatively inexpensive steel cowl hood or alternatively a steel cowl to weld onto my 1980 el camino, with the new engine set up my carb won't clear and I'm trying to find the best and least expensive way to figure this out...... Thanks in Advance!
- Bob
:cool:

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Hmm you probably don't wanna hear this.... most people will hate I am saying this yet again but build one... I did.. it's incomplete but there are pics in my photo album

It's actually easy... you just need to think things out before doing them.. take your time and if you need help ask.. also welding gloves are good.. my scoop cost me a good slice in my finer that did heal for a long time

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well chihuahua I would love to, had I the metal working skill, however to the world of bodywork I'm a definate newb. but it would be neat to put those louvres on a g body elsie, haven't seen it before..... :D

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Yeah well... my hood had dents and bondo so it was an experiment that turned out well... has givin me much confidence that I will probably lose on a different experiment... still though I gotta reccomend it to other people... I can't help but look at cars now and think about how I could cut the hoods and make scoops and crap... especially 69 SS chevelles I COULD DO SOMETHING MEAN WITH THOSE TWO LITTLE BUMPS!

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Hey Scuzzy! Can you get ahold of another hood to play with? The hood stonedpup did looks great, might be worth trying if you had something else to try his idea on. He could walk you through the process and you could make up one like his.

Todd :cool:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I did my first homemade 5 inch cowl hood a couple weeks ago. Turned out good, until I figured out that it pulled in on the back corners at did not fit the hinges.

That said, I am planning another bracing installed to keep the proper demensions.

If you have a junk hood, I would try it. It is a bit time consuming, but worth the effort.

Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I don't have one to try it currently but there are now officially 1 bajillion junked g-bod malibus scrapped in local junkyards so it'd be easy enough for me to find my frankenstein if you get my meaning.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Scuzzy, is that '60 a board Avatar or your ride?

Also as stoned pointed out is pretty easy. If you need help to do it I'd be glad to walk you through it step by step. If you can spot weld and have the use of some elbow grease it can be done for reletivly little or no money. Let me know if you would like help.

Stoned, man you did pretty good for not knowing anything as you say. You know alot more than what people give you credit for or even know about. Relax man, with some guidance you could become very good.

HK

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey hk! yeah any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and that 60 is very very close to mine but not mine, I found it on the web somewhere however I do have a 1960 elsie with the original 348 & 3X2 set up, its a hell of a lot of fun.

soon I'm gonna get my picture book going and I'll update my avatar to my actual 60 :)

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
or you could just buy a new one from a co called, i believe, Goodmark. steel. they advertise in all the rags.

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Mine cost me 10 bucks cuz I went to the wreckers and cut the back off the hood and some supports out of it..

I'll be glad to give any help. I am bad with words but I just might be able to make enough sense to help you out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Amarillo!!?? Ever been to Lubbock? Nice to see another west texas hot rodder, is that your camino in the pic??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dragn' 'course I've been to lubbock, all the time,
there are actually a couple of my pals from Amarillo running around the board, MadHat, and I can't remember the others name.
No thats not my specific Elsie, but I do have a 60 just like it just didn't have a pic scanned and wanted to use it, mine doesn't have whitewalls and the grills a bit differant

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do you go to the cruise nights up there at the icecream place? I went once...I'll probably start going again when the weather gets better, I dont' want to drive 120 miles and get rained out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
which ice cream place? I used to go to the ones on the first weekend of the month that met in front of that old homeland.......

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thats the same one I think, its in a big lot on a corner by some double dips or dippin' dog or some stupid ice cream place...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, if you ever see a 60 el camino out there thats me, I'll keep an eye out for your stude, heh, I've been a board lurker for over a year just recently started posting so I feel like I already know half the people on here :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts