Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have to replace the cowl vents on a 67 mustang. What is the difference between using a regular drill bit to drill out the factory spot welds and using a spot weld bit? Either way, once the spot welds are drilled out, how do I remove the cowl cover? any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like this kind, much faster and longer lastign than the others Ive used.

I buy them from this guy off ebay for 15 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25260&item=3862503137

For removal, I just start in a corner, and dril a few, and work them up with a long screw drivers, and keep drilling. Its not to bad, jus take your tome, especially at the tops where the factor brazing is at.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i did mine on my 66 and its not as bad/hard as they say. As for using a drill bit, well you can but.........
on this part the two pieces are pretty thin as it is, so the drill could grab and pull through both pieces, leaving a hole you would have to fill. The spot weld cutter will only drill through the top layer (most of the time). Once all the spot welds are drilled out the piece just about lifts off, except for the few places where you did not get all the joined(spot welded) metal cut away. If anything is still holding the pieces together a dremel tool works great with a grinding tip of any sorts. Once all the spot welds are gone, lift the top piece off. Replace what is needed. I did both sides of mine, even though one side wasnt bad. I welded the new pieces in, used brush on seam sealer at the weld, them primered it, then used some truck bed spray liner to really seal it.

Tips.....
1. use as small of a spot weld cutter that you can and still get all the weld (easier to weld back together since there is a lot of holes to plug)
2. on your new pieces be sure and paint the undersides of them before you weld them in since its really hard to get to from the inside.
3. watch out when your welding that you dont catch the firewall insulation on fire (like i did...oooops)
4. Use small sheetmetal self tapping screws to hold the top in place before welding it all back up

oh, and have fun on the floors as im sure there next if its like mine was (did them also)

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Be sure and use a weld thru coating(3M makes a good one but there are others)and not just primer and paint on all the seams otherwise you will burn off any rust protection that the paint provides and create a real rust problem where you weld the panels together. The zinc rich coating will provide protection after welding but the paint and primer will simply burn up and leave a rust prone area around the weld.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.