Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in the middle of changing the timing chain my 54 chevy ,350/350 and a voice in my head say look at the fuel pump and i see..its cracked! !! any one have a idea on how this could happen,and yes it may very well have messed up my fuel pressures, at the gauge the needle was all over the place , pump is a Carter , it never leaked ,been in the car 5 yrs ,any one else seen this?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Grey Wood Water Tints and shades

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
It is a casting crack. I casted lots of aluminum and zinc automotive parts at my last employer.

When they injected the material in the mold a bit of air was trapped. Even a bit of slag on the mold could cause a pinhole crack.

Mechanical fuel pumps have a hard life. A small pinhole crack on the inside of a channel could sit for years slowly spreading each time that cam lobe slams the diaphragm/spring until the crack gets to the outside of the case and results in what you have here.

Replace the pump, inspect the pushrod, and you will be good for several more years.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey, it happens! Don't worry and just replace it. Simple job and you are back down the road. Think that's hard, Try a new fuel pump in a newer injected chevy truck, requires removing the truck bed, WTF!. This is why I like the older vehicles. Built for ease of maintenance.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,887 Posts
Ive not had one crack like that but I did have all the bolts fall out and the bottom half is laying somewhere in Florida.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i ordered a new one, i just have to say never seen this happen before ,Imsport i think you hit the nail on the head.with the bad casting comment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The voices in my head aways tell me to run an electric pump. Oh shut up I'm not talking to you I'm talking to the interweb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts