Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine when a crank should be polished or re-ground. Can you use standard mics to do a simple measurement and accept all the area under the mic anvil(s) as being the same or what? It's hard to use a test indicator while the crank is still in the engine so what is suggested, please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to identify crank condition. Engine was running well and dropped a seat. Cylinders were marginal so I pulled the rods to see almost the same pattern on the bearings as what someone posted a pic calling it a "Ohio" crank. My wear if wear at all in the bearings shows those lines but you can take a piece of writing paper and lightly rub the lines out to a slight dull buff appearance. Crank looks good but isn't new, not going into a racer, mics good but you can see light phantom lines in the surface. The phantom lines are polished with no obvious damage. The "ohio" look on the bearing faces concerned me the most.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
If you can't catch a fingernail on it, don't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.