Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this post should be in the steering section, I see the majority of viewers are on the engine topics, so I figured I start here.

I am installing power steering on a 56 Chevy sedan and I am using the GM pump with the reservoir attached (typical seventies pump). Does anyone know the maximum RPM this style pump can turn. I have in hand a couple of different diameter crank pulleys and I would like to use the larger pulley but I am concerned with the maximum speed this pump can handle.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys,
The two crank pulleys are 7.625" (chrome) and 6.75" (painted steel) and the PS pump is 5.75". Obviously I would like to use the chrome pulley and since it is the larger of the two I am still concerned with maximum PS speed. My cam tops out at 4800 RPM so I don't for see engine speeds above 5K. If my calculations are correct using the 7.625 crank pulley and the 5.75 PS pulley I would end up at 6600 PS pump rpm, is this still in the realm of safe speeds for stock 60 - 70s GM PS pumps??

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
IanRiordan said:
These saginaw pumps were fitted to Z28s/LT1s and LS6s in 70/71. All these engines reved past 6000 stock so the stock pulleys are fine.

Unfortunately that doesn't help unless you know the stock pulley diameters on those engines. Changing the pulley diameter changes the pump speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can't say that I am hell bent on doing anything except doing it right. That's why I am asking around trying to draw on all the expertise out there. At this point I have no idea what diameter the stock pulley is. As I said I have two pulleys, one that came in a box with the car and another I bought at a swap meet. I don't want to run this pump at an unnecessarily high speed so I will keep on looking for the correct pulley. Thanks to all, expecially F-BIRD'88 for taking the time to help clear this up!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.