Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1988 Camaro that i put a 327sbc "race" motor in.

I solved all the problems: gears, carb, timing, intake, the works.

But no matter what i do, i suck oil through the pcv valve. :smash:

The heads are 462, so the bolt are on the outside.

I have tried 2 sets of valve cover (both with baffles), one set of edelbrock stamped steel, and one set of plain cast aluminum tall style. I have even made my own PVC breather tank, but it fills up to fast and oil still gets into the engine. It take about 200 miles to make my plugs look pretty bad. I even went aside and got high pressure braided clear tubing just to see the stream of oil being sucked through. And the pcv valve itself IS working properly.

On cold start and idle you can't see any oil being sucked through the clear tube, but if i get on really good for a minute and then open the hood you can see that leftover oil flow through the tube into the intake.

Is there a way to use a smog pump or vacuum pump as a PCV system and separate the intake from the pcv valve???

I tried driving with the pcv unhooked, and it just made an oily mess in the engine bay, but the plugs and intake runners were cleaner.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be really, really appreciated!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Years ago when I played around with mine I learned the filter side is just as important as the PCV side, the filter acts as a restrictor in ways. I also would make a spacer to increase the overall height the PCV had from the valve cover baffle. Some guys on here can tell you how to make a accumulator which should work for you. I`m curious though, just by removing the pcv shouldn`t have caused oil to get blown everywhere, unless you have excessive blow by which means something isn`t sealing up good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here's a shot in the dark

I agree with DoubleVision on the filter in the cover. This was a problem on a
drag bike until I added a steel mesh in the rocker cover.

Now here's a shot in the dark. Are you carrying too much oil? Different pan? Different dip stick? Over filled? You may not be returning oil out of the heads qiuck enough. High Volume oil pump?

Do I legitmately recall something about oil flow restrictors to the valve train? Or, did I dream that one up somewhere while under the influence??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DoubleVision said:
Years ago when I played around with mine I learned the filter side is just as important as the PCV side, the filter acts as a restrictor in ways. I also would make a spacer to increase the overall height the PCV had from the valve cover baffle. Some guys on here can tell you how to make a accumulator which should work for you. I`m curious though, just by removing the pcv shouldn`t have caused oil to get blown everywhere, unless you have excessive blow by which means something isn`t sealing up good.
I have tried that as well. I tried many difference ways of using a filter in the loop, but it didn't solve anything, it just made the filter really dirty really fast.

I removed the pcv valve and the breather so there were open holes on the valve covers, took it for about a 10 mile drive, got on a bit, and there was a ton of oil on the hood on both sides. does this mean the piston rings are bad???

I did a compression test with the motor warm and got 180 across the board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.