Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a company out there that sells any long block or complete chevy 302 crate motors? i've done some half arsed looking but have come up empty. i want to stay away with used 302's cause they're going to be pushing it with regards to age and wear. your help would be greatly appreicated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
To my knowlege Chevrolet never made a 302, 302's are a ford engine. now if your talking about 5.0 letre engines, chevrolet classification for a 5.0 is a 305.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
1967 302 Chevy's used a 327 block and a 283 crank (3.0 inch stroke X 4.0 inch bore small journal crank).

1968-69 302 Chevy's used a 350 block and a 283 crank (3.0 inch stroke X 4.0 inch bore, big journal crank).

All had 5.7 inch rods I beleive.

All these engines were produced for homologation in the Trans-am series to compete against the 302 Ford Boss engines that dominated at the time.

All 283 cranks are forged so you can use any one to create your engine, just make sure you get the right size journal block to suit. You can get spacers to fit a small journal crank into a big journal block or have the crank ground to fit, I don't recommend either. Why you would want to destroke a perfectly good 350 or 327 is beyond me? Are you trying to get into a specific class of racing?

They don't sell 302 crate motors because everyone wants the bigger cubes. Here's a site with a good breakdown of Chevy engines.

<a href="http://www.v8s-series.freeservers.com/sbc.htm" target="_blank">http://www.v8s-series.freeservers.com/sbc.htm</a>

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
it's like 4 jaw says, this size engine was made for trans am racing,i believe cubes had to be under 310 cubes. you had to be there i guess, they were screamers. made 67 to 69, factory balanced, blueprinted, some dynoed at 375 horse. i was 17 in 69, hard core race fan, i dreamed of a 302 in my 57 chev.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedback. it might be interesting to build one up with some good power numbers, race it then tell the looser in was a 302!!! just my goofy dream i guess. for all of those who didn't know they chevy made a 302 well they did and they revved hard. come on i'm 18 and i new that. all smiles!

·
Registered
10 Posts
69 Z-28, 302, 4spd., my dream car. 4jaw, ford made its 302 after chevy, I beleive 69 or so. Any combination of 3" stroke and 4" bore will make a 302. But I think originals had large diameter mains, nitrited crank, 4 bolt blocl, 2.02" intake valves, 1.6" exhaust valves, aluminum dual plane intake, and Holley 750 cfm carb. If you build this get a car with weight over the rear tires, put in some low gears, a 5 or 6spd trans, and have some fun. If it hooks up at all you will break parts. I drag raced with small engines for years. There is not much that can compare to leaving the starting line at 11,000rpm, and then rowing through 4 gears (clutch assisted)in 10 secounds. Yep I am old, but I still remember.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey everybody, Chevy did make a 302 and from what I've heard it was the motor sought after back 67-69 camaro's, ford makes a 302 also, not a prayer
against chevy's 302,a rare factory motor. If you can get a hold on a used factory chevy 302, I'd do it in a heart beat.Watch your casting dates
67-69 only I believe.Or watch for a Tonawanda
built chevy motor,327-350's. Tonawanda built some
pretty strong power plants

·
doesn't play well with others
1,823 Posts
One thing I always try to do is leave room for error when posting 'cause there's a lot of room for error in the world of cars. Halloweenking at least said "to the best of my knowledge" allowing room for error. But Ford definately did not make it's 302 after Chevy, it had nothing to do with Chevy. In 67 Ford decided to bump the 289W to 302 cubic inches for the 68 model year. I think in 68 Ford used the 302 and 289 version, but that's not important. I personally just think it's a good idea to try and not give specifics unless you're sure.

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Your are all correct, the Chevy was produced first and it was Ford who decided to jump into Trans-am racing by building the 302 Boss. Sorry I got my "facts" all backwards, hey I'm not perfect!

One of my favourite sounds is a short stroke small block with low gears going through the gears and hitting 8 grand at every shift.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was alive and well when both the Boss 302 Ford Mustang and the 302 Chevy Z-28 Camaro came on the scene brand new. It would really be hard to say which was the best or the baddest, they both would run like a scalded dawg..right off the show room. I have been a party to a '68 Z-28 many nights in my teen age years, which belonged to my best friend, but got my butt kicked driving a '68 383 Charger by a '69 Boss 302....not just a little either...I mean KICKED. The Ford and Chevy were both bad boys in their day. PACO

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was alive and well when both the Boss 302 Ford Mustang and the 302 Chevy Z-28 Camaro came on the scene brand new. It would really be hard to say which was the best or the baddest, they both would run like a scalded dawg..right off the show room. I have been a party to a '68 Z-28 many nights in my teen age years, which belonged to my best friend, but got my butt kicked driving a '68 383 Charger by a '69 Boss 302....not just a little either...I mean KICKED. The Ford and Chevy were both bad boys in their day. PACO

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say today that all 67-69 z28 Camaros are rare. I was 18 in 67 when they came out and although I've never been a Chevy fan I can tell you that they ran hard. What the younger ones don't know is it was an engine that gearheads had been building for quite sometime. we knew it as a 301 on the street. 67s are the rarest z28 there was only around 700 built that first year,I remember only one 67 that a guy had that worked for a Chevy dealership,he had also added dealer installed cross ram dual quads and dealer installed headers. If memory serves me correct the factory would ship these parts with the car in the trunk and the dealer would install them. Again if memory is correct they used a cowl induction set up with the dual quads. In 68 nothing really changed other than alot more people knew what a z28 was and bought them. 69 was the last of the first generation Camaro and the 302 also. There were a few other changes made in 69 though,real early 69s had a chamberd exhaust system,there was no mufflers on the car,the exhaust pipes were supposed to quiet it down,I thought they worked great but they were to loud and they did some sort of recall and replaced them with a standard system, also in 69 they added an air pump,the begining of smog control,that would disappear as soon as someone would buy the car.Most all of the 302 z28s had 3.91 gears or steeper,I think the 3.91s were standard,they all had posi-traction, 4speeds with a hurst shifter,202 heads,alum intake,holley carb,solid lifter cams,chrome valve covers,and air cleaner.They were mostly plain jane cameros with one purpose, to run hard and that they did very well.Back then when Ford came out with the Boss302 they cleaned up on the road courses the cars were built for, but on the street or the real world for me,the z28 was quicker. Thanks for letting me ramble on and remember a very fun time from along time ago. :D :D :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
302 crate motor that my dad picked up in the 70's just sits the garage. He said when it acctually reved 10k rpm was easy to hit. I know is a crate motor but did it have the same HP as the stock motor from the Camaros? And does anyone know what teh real horsepower was from just a stock Z/28 302? With no modifications, just stock. Also if anyone has a cross ram for the motor, i am interested cause we found a car to put the motor in, and he always wanted a crossram for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was reading the posts on the crate 302, thiught I would add my 2 cents. I am the owner of a 302. Mine came with my 69 Nova, go figure. Mine is a March 68 block with a large journal original steel crank. The casting is 3279. Unfortunately or fortunately the 302 did not have a specific block made only gor the 302 there were several blocks used to create the 302.
The mis conception is that all 302's were small jrnl motors, this isnt tru. Even the local speed shop insisted mine was a small journal, until I proved it. The heads on my motor even have the correct casting number used on 68/69 302, but mine oare replacement cast iron units from another local speed shop, even has there name stamped in the ends. 302 were created specifically for the Trans Am circuit. The are extremely high reving motors, thats why one would desire 2 short stroke motor, less heat..... etc..
There are several advantages to min motor. If I explode the crank, 383 stroker kit would do just fine. Maybe some relief cuts in the cylinders to clear the rods, we're set.

Thanks for reading, Have a nice day !!!

See my hotrod at:
<a href="http://www.godsrods.com/features/tomelam.html" target="_blank">Gods Rods</a>

·
bentwings
2,585 Posts
Hi, rodders,
I just had to post here on the 302 stuff. Maybe stir up some debates...Back in 68 (day of the z-28) my buddy and I bought a crate long block right from GM (before crate motors were known).I think it was called a 'replacement motor'. we put in a roller cam and rockers and valve springs, added Enderle injectors, Vertex mag, and a flat dragster oil pan and put it in our Junior fuel dragster. Direct drive in those days with a slipper clutch. We ran 98% nitro (the can as it was called) and ran low 8's and high 7's 1/4 mile at 195mph plus. Car weighed less than 1100 pounds. (none of the saftey stuff we have now..like aluminum bellhousing etc.) We didn't have 'tars' like today so we smoked either the clutch or the 'tars', or both.. If you are young?? enough to rember Gene Adams and some of the other Junior fuel guys you will rember this class. It was fun and relatively cheap. the motors didn't last too long but at $400 bucks you couln't go wrong. a lot of guys bought these and ran them right out of the box and ran tough in other classes. Usually just a good roller cam and rockers plus ignition and carbs or FI was all that was necessary for a killer motor that would rev way past 8 grand.
guys that are used to todays torque monsters have to know that we ran 4.11 and 4.56 gears on the street and didn't give a d...m about gas mileage of 4-5 mpg since gas was .25 to .35 cents a gal for premium 99 octane or better.
Yeah the z-28 was pretty fast with 4.11 or 4.56 gears and 2.2 low gear t-10. but...let me tell you a lot of these got new a.. h..les torn when they ran up against 66-69 chevelles with 396 and 66-69 gto with 389 tri-power 2.54 low gear and 4.1 to 4.56 gears. a road runner with 4.56 and 4 spd was pretty formatable too. forget the hemi on the street you just waited him out..sooner or later he needed new plugs or carb adjustment. gotta remeber we didn't have the 'tars' of today so we didn't race from a stop often. 20 mph rolling start was pretty tough for the z-28 to compete against cu in. The chevelle really wasn't much heavier than the z-28 was and was pretty sure footed for its day. a Z-28 caught with the revs down was sirloin steak for a chevelle. I have to admit that hearing a z-28 wind out on the street back then was pretty impressive..especially with the headers uncapped. I'm sure to ruffle a few feathers but I worked on these in a hotrod shop for a long time as well as most of the other factory hot rods. A road test was part of the work order. the Boss 302 Ford was pretty impressive too. it would rev to no end and was tough too. In the road races and parking lot races it was tough to beat. The Boss 429 was the same, rev the h... out of it and go fast... then come and pay me a lot of cash to fix it..Some of the truly wild stuff was never meant to be on the street especially the Fords. Most were techinically not able to be licensed from the factory. Easy to get around however. go to the junk yard and peal off a vin tag and say you lost the title. Some times the junk yard would sell a title for ten bucks too. the post above about how many of these wild cars actually made is true. I had a 57 chev 210 2dr for which I bought a 283 hp FI engine from a wrecked stock car plus the title tag, then bought a 4sp from another wreck and viola!!! I had an original 57 chev sedan 283 hp FI 4sp. Totally legal for racing!! supposedly only 50 or so were actually made by the factory for NASCAR. D...m fast car right out of the box. Ran 106 mph 1/4 mi with my own fender well headers and modified ignition.
Lots of us ol' timers can fill you 'young whipper snappers' in on the early days of hot rodding when it was fun. Most of us could write a book about the wild things we did that would put you in the slammer for a long time today!! The worst ticket I got was extreme loud ex,no front bumper, causing extreme disturbance, and...'exhibitionistic' driving. Just for doing a smokie burn out in the mall parking lot. cost me 200 bucks for a lawyer to get me off with a promise to never do this again and to never drive my hot rod on the street again. "thank you your honor sir, no your honor sir I'll never do this again your honor, I'm totally sorry..sir your honor , I didn't know what I was doing honor sir, I'll put the car away, and go back to school, your honor". You should have seen the smokie I did the following weekend!!!
bentwings

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the board, but thought I'd post on this. I have a home-brew 302 that might interest you. First some history. Chevy was first to debut a 302 in '67. Ford debuted their's in '68. The Chevy 302 of '67 was built off a standard 327 4" bore small journal (the only size in '67) 2 bolt block. In '68 Chevy used the new medium journal 327/350 4 bolt main block to build the 302 with a new forged 3" stroke crank. The '67 crank was a slightly modified 283 forged crank. As far as I know the only difference between a 283 and 302 application was the rear counterweight(flywheel flange) It was perfectly round on a 283 and had a small notch cut in it for the 302 balance. All engines used the standard rod length of 5.7 inches. Rods of course matching the respective journal of the crank. I do belive some small journal "MO" engines were installed in '68 Z's. The large journal engine being a "DZ". Ok..on to the home brew. I used a standard 327/350 4 bolt 4" bore block with an honest DZ 302 crank that I was lucky to keep standard. Instead of the heavy TRW forged 302 piston I used a much lighter SRP piston with a compression height of 1.560" (standard 350). How might that fit you may be asking? I used the new powdered metal GM rods the measure 5.94" We put in some ARP bolts, resized them and off I went. Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads and a PRP "Bowtie" clone intake finished it off. I have installed 3 cams in this combination, searching for a good compromise. First I used the second-design solid flat tappet (262/273 .512 .536 112)and that thing wouldn't idle below 1400 RPM. I mean 1300 and it shut off. It was way too...just wrong. I decided to step up to a solid roller next. 236/242 .564 .570 on 108. This cam ran like a s.o.b. until I broke a used lifter I had. 8000 rpm no problem with titanium retainers and good springs. Instead of regrinding the same 'ole cam I had a slightly smaller one done that is 230/236 .552 .564 on 108. With the excellent flow of the heads this one still goes 7800 rpm and has better low end response. The engine is 11 to 1 and I run 39 degrees timing with Amoco Gold gas. Its in my '69 Camaro and I have a 4.56 twelve bolt and a SuperT10 transmission. No matter what anyone tells you, you just can't expect a synchronized transmission to shift at 8000 rpm. Clutch shifting at 10,000 rpm isn't going to happen. No matter what the 'ole timers say. The 302 isn't going to live up there either with stainless valves and stock rods. The pistons are way too heavy for that. But sane 7500 rpm shifts are possible with pretty good reliability. I bought an Offenhauser crossram and the correct Holley carburetors to install on the 302. The manifold overhangs short valve covers so my tall GM aluminum covers and stud girdles won't fit. Maybe sheet metal Moroso covers will. I built the engine with the intent of running the crossram. Hope some of this was useful.

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: rhsmark ]</p>

1 - 20 of 107 Posts