Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resently purchased a 68 camaro with what I was told was fairly new 468ci crate engine. Does anyone know where the builder would ID this engine so I could find out cam, compression, etc?
Any help would be great.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Sooooooo, the seller didn't provide a list of what was done on that car and by who? You didn't think it was important to check this stuff out before buying it? I don't get it, more and more people are posting threads with this same story. We get people on here that won't buy an air cleaner element without testimony from 20 others on whether its ood or not and now we have people buying complete cars with no idea what they are buying! :spank: :spank:

Well, now you get to do it the hard way. Pull valve covers, look high and low and front to back for a serial number that isn't it factory. Can't find one? Get a dial indicator and measure lift. Prepare to pull the heads, have them flowed. CC the the chambers. Measure deck heighth. Pull pan, see what lurks down below.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Generally, a "468" is a .060" over 454. That would indicate a "rebuild", whether a performance rebuild or just a "remanufacture". The term "crate engine" generally refers to a "factory new" engine. That the engine may have been delivered in a crate may make this a bit confusing.

Agreed with CRD, take it apart and measure everything so you KNOW what you have.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.