Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a Big Block Chevy Crate motor.
My questions is: Is it work the almost $2000 to go with the 502 HP 502CI big Block or should I spend less money and buy the HO 454CI rated at 450HP. I will be installing it in a 74 Monte Carlo
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
127 Posts
Personally i would go with the 502 mainly for the extra cubes. They are very similar internally as far as the quality of parts used, both have the big heads,forged pistons, steel cranks and 4 bolt mains. I work on both daily and both are strong engines. Compairing a 396 to 454 would be about the same as compairing 454 to a 502.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,409 Posts
Go with the 502 nothing like cubes. If its a crate motor from a dealer you also have a warrenty on it.
Go to this site for the specs, and surf the site.
This site page has the prices.They have a breakdown of all the motors on a different site page.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/sales.html

You can go to ....gm.com and look up all the part list prices and a dealer close to you.Surf the site for the new cars coming out while your at it. :D

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]</p>

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what it's worth, I went with the 454HO and then added a Holley multi-point fuel injection kit. Love the engine, jury still out on the EFI.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,409 Posts
Im glad to hear that you found what you wanted in stead of saying only if............ Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts