Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just cleared my car and now there are a bunch of craters, little pin holes. i feel they were caused by either water or oil in my air lines or i didnt clean the surface well enough. they were not in the base coat either. i put about 4 or 5 coats of clear. how do i get rid of them? do i wet sand them out and re clear it or do i have to re shoot the base again then reclear it again? please any help will be appreciated. thanks

3,214 Posts
You need to post some photos of those to determine what caused them. It could be from moisture, "Fisheyes", or "Solvent Pop". All would obviously be from different problems.

Solvent pop is usually caused by not enough flash time for the base coat before the clear is applied. The solvents coming out of the base actually blows bubbles in the clear. I understand that you can also get it from some clears, if you use too fast of an activator or reducer, or have too much air flow across the surface. It will cause the clear to skin over before the gasses can escape.

Moisture from the air lines can cause this in the clear or base when spraying as it separates the clear.

Fish eyes are normally caused by an oil, either in the material being sprayed, or on the surface. In the material being sprayed, could be from the mix or the air source.

To correct the problem, you would need to sand it smooth, and shoot more clear over it to make sure you have enough for the appearance and UV protection. You have to be careful not to sand thru the clear and hit the base. If you sand into the base, you would need to re-spray base in that area, before adding more clear.

This is my understanding of it. I am not a professional painter, but have had my share of paint problems over the years. Someone else may have more information for you.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Fisheyes....
1). How did you clean the surface?
2). Have you used ANY kind of silicone spray or Armour All or anything of that ilke around the car?
3). I Armour All'd the airlines once... while I was working on a repaint and had the same problem. It made a real mess when I shot top coat. Once I figured out what I had done I ended up washing the entire car with TSP and hot water to remove the silicone...
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts