Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1951 chev truck today, 5 window, with a 6 in it, and I wanted to know about swapping the frame and using a 70- 81 camaro frame.... I have heard lot's of guys use the clip's but not the frame.... this will be my first real project!! but I need to find someone that has done one like it, and get some tips or advice..!! help :cool:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well you won't find anyone that has used an entire frame of a 70-81 camaro or firebird because they didn't have a full frame. They are unibodies. Stick with the frame you got, just add a clip or an IFS.

HK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why I need to learn more about these things before I start ripping stuff apart with my tools!! LOL, The truck frame I have is completley shot but I will have to figure out something for the back end.... hmmmmm the camaro I found has a 454 in it and was rear ended, so I bought both of them today

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
RCgurl: A chevy S-10 long bed is close to the original 1/2 ton truck wheel base/length. Would require changes to the bed, maybe run a bed tuno after fabing it in. Would require running fat/wide rims and tires as the wheel base is narrower than stock.

Todd

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The clip should not be too hard. I have never done one, but I have built a couple of frames from scratch. I will caution you and say make sure you figure out a way to get all the pieces together straight. I would suggest leaving the front end in place and cut the old frame out from under it. This will give you a point of reference. Also make sure and measure AND RECORD the wheel base. Also find a couple of "land marks" behind the cut on the original frame to measure from. There is nothing worse than figuring out you are not sure where everything was before you started cutting.

Have Fun! It is alot of work, but well worth it.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great!! now I have lots of new ideas, I am putting all sorts of measurements togeather and comparing them, on the computer, this is gonna take me a while to do, plus 20 grand!! LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea's on what to do with the truck motor, it's only a 6 and it looks in pretty rough shape.... are they worth keeping or are they usually tossed ?

·
8,453 Posts
If it has two bolts sticking out of the top of the valve cover, it is the old version of the 235 and isn't worth keeping. If it has screws around the outside edge of the valve cover, it is the '56-'62 version and is a very good motor. Toyota bought the patterns and desighs for this motor and put it into Land Cruisers up into the 1980s.
Many pre '54 pickups had the old engines replaced with late model 235s, thus have good basis for rebuild. I am totally rebuilding my 235 in my '53 Chevy pick up - 260 cam, 9.25 compression, chrome or polished aluminum everything that is not gloss white powder coated on the outside, Fenton dual cast iron headers, Clifford aluminum 4-bbl manifold w/ 390cfm Holley, 200R4 OD automatic tranny. Of course you could put in a SBC without much effort but that is extremely boring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah Niel, you should be a recording star!! LOL
hey there Willy's 36... I noticed your are from Bakersfield!! that is a fun place... I have walked down Buck Owns BVD and it was sure hot that day!! wow!!! I knew a girl that worked as a waitress at the flying J truck stop on the out skirts of town! memories............. I really wanna go back there soon...there are some very awsome people there... and they know how to party!!!!!!!!!!! yeahhhh

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, didnt u say u gotta camaro with a 454 in it? and didnt u say the back part of the frame was shot? what about a rear clip..... as in the "tubbed" kind for BIG drag wheels. just a thought.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Racecargurl
I too have a 51 5 window 1/2 ton chevy that I have on the back burner. So I will be watching this post to maybe pick up an Ideal or two from it.
Good luck on your project

·
Registered
323 Posts
racecargurl,

If you want some info on clip installation, check out <a href="http://classicchrisengineering.freeservers.com/CamaroClip.htm" target="_blank">this site</a>. There's a few ways to go with the AD trucks to get IFS. The balance between cash spent, ease of project and final result isn't always equal. I've heard of AMC Pacer crossmembers being bolted in, early '80's Chevy 1/2 ton crossmembers bolt in, 2nd gen F-body clips weld in, aftermarket MII welded and bolted in. I swapped an S-10 chassis under my '52 Suburban (same chassis as your '51 pickup) - not worth the trouble, unless you are set on having 4WD and IFS.

The good news is that there's lots of sites out there for you to research. :) Good luck!

·
8,453 Posts
Originally posted by racecargurl:
<strong>yeah Niel, you should be a recording star!! LOL
hey there Willy's 36... I noticed your are from Bakersfield!! that is a fun place... I have walked down Buck Owns BVD and it was sure hot that day!! wow!!! I knew a girl that worked as a waitress at the flying J truck stop on the out skirts of town! memories............. I really wanna go back there soon...there are some very awsome people there... and they know how to party!!!!!!!!!!! yeahhhh</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. Never a dull moment in Bakers-Acres, that's for sure. Now,if the Flying J truck stop was the highlight of your trip to B'field, you missed just a few items of a little more interest! I suggest if you plan a trip here and are interested in hot rods, plan a trip to include the three days of the Hot Rod Reunion nostalgia drag race at Famoso. Awesome show. Also thanks again for the pictures. As I said, it's always nice to put a face with a name!

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: [email protected] ]</p>

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
s-10 seems the easiest way to go. what was said about the sixes i could agree with. some may be worth keepin. as for money i spent 9 g's puttin it ona 79 chevy 3/4 ton. now my truck, which was worth about 3 g's before, is worth about 11. funny how that works out :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts