Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mustang II cross member I'm going to use in my 59 rambler will only have about 4" of clearance at ride height. Is this enough clearance? The roads here in the Phoenix area are very good, so pot holes and such are not an issue. My concern is the sharp dips that I'll encounter occasionally. I'm going to be using an air ride suspension and I'm not sure how stiff that will be. This is my first hot rod from scratch. so most this is new to me. Also, I have my lower control arms parallel with the bottom of the cross member, and I was wondering how much difference it would make in ride quality to run the arms down a few degrees. I need to get these few problems hammered out before I start to fabricate the frame. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't know if 4" is enough clearance or not and hopefully others will provide input as well. However, low is cool.

For best handling the lower control arms should be level to the earth with suspension assembled and all car weight on the wheels.

·
Registered
654 Posts
AmericanLT1,

I measured the distance from floor to the Heidts MII cross member in my '35 Chevy Coupe - 5 1/2" with the control arms level to the floor and 11 1/2" from the floor to the center of the spindle. The height of the crossmember would be effected by the radius of the tire and wheel.

Hope that helps.

Happy building.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts