Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a few members who are transmission technicians by trade frequent this site, so I am optomistic that you can guide me in the right direction.

I bought a 99' Crown Vic from the company I work for. It only has 97k on the clock. The last guy to drive it told me that it was working fine, no noticable problems. And, I have no reason to not trust the guy who was driving it before they parked it. The car had been sitting for a good six months in the shop yard. The shop foreman told me that they change company car transmission filters/fluid every 50k miles, and to the best of his knowledge, it had only been changed that one time.

I transferred my tag on Friday and took it home. I soon noticed a "jerky" feeling when at light to part throttle. The car feels like it is shifting in and out of gears (2-3 or 3-4) when crusing. Step on it, and it is fine. Perhaps it is the lock-up function going in and out.

I am going to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Is there anything else I should look at while the pan is off? Perhaps the lock-up solenoid is all gunked up or something. I am clueless, but thought I might seek some guidence while the pan is off.

Hopefully it is not the converter. I wouldn't think just sitting for 6+ months that it would develop some type of mechanical problem inside the trasmission and/or converter.

Any input will greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check your coil first. Our buick regal sputtered at light throttle also. Mostly at cruising speed when you barely get on it and especially under load (uphill).

If it's trans-related, you'll more than likely be able to tell based on the condition of the fluid. Color, smell, even taste. I picked up the Haynes Ford Automatic Transmission Manual from Autozone for $14 and used it to rebuild my C5. If you don't want to spend the $, I know they have them at the library. I definitely recommend it.

MoocH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts