Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just finished rebuilding a large case cruise o matic (not sure of spelling) in his early '60s Lincoln and he is having problems with the reverse. It drives fine and shifts all gears in drive, however when he puts it in reverse there is a distinct delay until it engages. When he gives it some gas it hurries it up a little. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? He's prepared to live with it if it involves tearing it down again but would really like to fix it if it's not a huge problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Marcus,

Have him re-adjust the bands. You do have to drop the pan but I think that will fix the problem. I do not think you will need to take the trans all apart because the transmission shifts fine in the forward gears.

When he gives it the gas in reverse and it does go into gear, does the vehicle "shutter"? If it does, then the band end that is held by the case might be broken.

Scholman

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. He said it does not shudder when it eventually engages reverse...he's going to take a look at the bands as you suggested. Hopefully this will correct the problem

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
some of those cast iron cruise-O's had alignment pins for the servos to the main case...

If the alignmnet pin is not seated correctly , there will be a pressure loss

·
Registered
393 Posts
Its always seems to me that a valve is sticking in the valve body when this happens. My daughters nissan stopped going into reverse all together. I removed the valve body disassembled and cleaned all the valves re assembled and it worked fine. Make sure that hes not reving it to get it to move while its slipping. With too little pressure being applied to the band or clutch set it will burn it. This will lead to tranny failure.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.