Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I have a question on a transmission swap that I've been thinking about. I don't know too much about transmissions, so sorry if some of these questions are dumb, but here goes:
I have a 64 fairlane with a 289 in it, I just finished the motor and built it up a little bit (you can check it out here if you want a little more background info) and it's got the original 3 speed auto cruisomatic tranny. When I rebuilt the motor, it was really worn, so I'm betting the transmission will need a rebuild real soon. Now, I also have an E4OD transmission out of a 1989 full size bronco, with a 5.0 engine in it. My first question is, how hard would it be to swap the E4OD for the cruisomatic? Are the bellhousing patterns the same? I would probably need a new flywheel, right? If anyone has done a swap like this, let me know how it went.
My second question is, would it be worth the time to swap the E4OD for the cruisomatic? Or should I just keep the cruisomatic and rebuild it? I have the E4OD in my daily driver bronco, and it seems like an ok transmission, what do you guys think? Thanks for any input, and for all your help!

~Frank~

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The large size of the E4OD makes it difficult to fit into regular passenger cars, limiting it mostly to truck or big-block swaps.
Technical data below. Make sure to read all the pages on the E4OD. You also have to provide an electronic shift controller for it.

-BAUMANN ENGINEERING-

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,
Kultulz, thanks a lot for that info, that's exactly what I was looking for! I'll read through that again, thanks for letting me know about it.
Stu, what transmission would you suggest? I know one with AOD, but any specific one? Heh sorry I'm a transmission newbie, thanks for the help!

~Frank~

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys,
Lol sorry kultulz, I didn't get time to peruse the whole webpage before I had to leave and do some school work, but I'm reading through it trying to understand transmissions a little better! Thanks both you guys for your help. I'll keep reading, and post any other questions I have, thanks!!

~Frank~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts