Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just lost my job to foreign labor and it stinks to see this kind of stuff. i have had no flaws with my job, never called off or finished late. they do very poor and go back 6 to 9 months later so no warranty. but the american public does save a few dollars!!!
now i must say i DO NOT have a problem with foreign people, i only have a problem with foreign labor that under charges!!

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
Yeah and it's only getting worse. When NAFTA was concieved everyone thought it was a good idea. Now most of the good manufacturing jobs have moved to Mexico from Texas. GM has moved some manufacturing plants to Mexico, same goes with Haggar Clothes.

It's a shame.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you see Nancy Pelosi's interview transcript?

The Democrats want to tax corporate profits 100% and give the money to the poor and the illegals.

Wake up America.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Human spirit

When I stopped to talk to a mechanic bent over a 50's relic in old Havana, I asked him how he kept these old V-8s running. His response - "Los Cubanos somos mañosos", meaning that the Cuban people were very skillful. They had to be to survive in the dehumanizing conditions of the tyrant's regime. I learned about the thousands that die every year trying to escape to Florida in anything they could, despite the shark-infested waters; about the two boys that had stolen a fishing boat and were summarily shot when caught and about their mother who threw herself from their apartment building when she found out.
That these ingenious people could rig together a craft from a car to escape under the threat of death from above and below the water is a testament to the human spirit. It is an action we should applaud. They should be welcomed as true Americans in the purest sense of the word and welcomed as heroes. That some only see the plight of the immigrant, in a land built of and by immigration, as a threat to their own security, is a sad commentary on the state of mind of the typical American, blind to everything but his own needs and incapable of empathy for human suffering besides his own.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the buick was actually their 2nd attempt. the 1st time they came over in a 1&1/2 ton 50's chevy flatbed but they only made the bay of florida and got picked up by the coast guard . the truck was sunk and they were returned to cuba when they built they buick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
aguila1 said:
When I stopped to talk to a mechanic bent over a 50's relic in old Havana, I asked him how he kept these old V-8s running. His response - "Los Cubanos somos mañosos", meaning that the Cuban people were very skillful. They had to be to survive in the dehumanizing conditions of the tyrant's regime. I learned about the thousands that die every year trying to escape to Florida in anything they could, despite the shark-infested waters; about the two boys that had stolen a fishing boat and were summarily shot when caught and about their mother who threw herself from their apartment building when she found out.
That these ingenious people could rig together a craft from a car to escape under the threat of death from above and below the water is a testament to the human spirit. It is an action we should applaud. They should be welcomed as true Americans in the purest sense of the word and welcomed as heroes. That some only see the plight of the immigrant, in a land built of and by immigration, as a threat to their own security, is a sad commentary on the state of mind of the typical American, blind to everything but his own needs and incapable of empathy for human suffering beside

i think you need to read what i wrote again and not think the american people forgot where we came from! so, blind no!
its not fair for us to lose our jobs that we work for so hard (i lost my job after 10 years of hard work) to ANYONE who undercuts us, then goes home. oh its also great to pay taxes to support them while they are here,they get gov. assistance without green card or work visa.
like i said i have no problem with foreigners who keep an even playing field, i know i can compete with that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Many of these folks who are mechanics are supplied with parts for the old cars there by their relatives and friends in the USA. The parts are shipped to Spain or Switzerland and other countries and then brought to Cuba in the diplomatic pouches. There is a great cost to the shippers in bribes and "grease"(same as bribes) throughout the process.
Example, a transmission rebuild kit for an old Hydramtic here may cost $125 or so, by the time the shipper has paid the freight and "grease" the cost can be as high as $1000 to get a part to the son or friend or nephew who is working on cars in the streets to survive in Castro's Pasadise of the Communist People's Republic of Kuba!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Parts and such

Interestingly enough, the mechanic I talked to above told me that the pistons were Soviet-made in a size equivalent to a 350 Chevy, undoubtedly an engineering knock-off. Consider that the average Cuban only makes 10 cents a day, only the best connected could afford to bring in high-dollar parts. A doctor there makes around $30 a month. Basic foods and necessities are rationed. Imagine getting a bar of soap or a tube of toothpaste once every three months. Or an egg a week. I have a year's ration book to prove this... As to crying about an uneven playing field: Consider that for years the US has enjoyed the highest wages and that in global economics leveling the playing field would imply dropping US wages and increasing the wages of everyone else in the world. That is exactly what is happening today. Our neighbor south of the border averages about $3 per day. Taking that into account, then, it is in our better interest to have the lower earning immigrant working here, where he can spend his money in our economy, rather than sending all the money to other nations like China. Need I remind everyone that our government's deficit is around $1 B per day? - money we are borrowing from those same countries, like China... While I feel badly for those that have suffered lower wages to others, consider that this perceived negative is a positive to some, and would encourage others to flip the situation in their favor. For instance, a landscaper could lose his grass-cutting job to a Mexican, or he could hire ten Mexicans to help and become very wealthy. Turning a negative into an opportunity is part of the reason Americans are the most productive and successful people on Earth.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Interesting, but it does not solve the problem we have with millions of ILLEGAL ALIENS being here swamping our medical facilities, importing diseases we have have eliminated from OUR country years ago, bringing their third world styles of living (6 families in a single family dwelling, front yards used as parking lots, trash piled at the curb day and night, excessive noise, undisciplined children running wild through stores and neigborhoods, pitching trash from cars as they drive, throwing used toilet paper in the corner on the floor of public restrooms).
It should be the law that we should find these people, finger print, photograph and take DNA from them, and return them to the countries they came from. They should be able to use their experiences here as a good springboard to changing the situations in their home countries.
Further, any illegal alien (man, woman or child) found in this country should be forever banned from returning to this nation and NEVER allowed to become a citizen. We have our own home-grown criminals, why in the world would we want to allow these imported ones to stay and become legal?
This policy should be applied without prejudice to all ILLEGAL ALIENS, whether from England, France, Russia, Chile, Mexico, Guatemala, Canada, CHina, Japan, Nigeria, Ceylon, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Malaysia, Australia, Sudan or any other place ourside our borders.
I, for one, would get a big kick out of watching the planes being loaded with European and other non-Spanish speaking ILLEGAL ALIENS who have getting around under the radar while themselves speaking out against Spanish-speaking ILLEGAL ALIENS.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
ILLEGAL ALIENS....................all well and good.....But, How many Americans feel that all immigration should be illegal? Most immigrants are NOT illegal and they are still looked down upon.

We have the same thing going on here in Canada, so its not just an American thing.

I seem to remember stories from some old Indian about how the white man came along and stole their jobs (hunting) and moved into their land and took all their fringe benefits (buffalo)........................But, I guess turn about is NOT fair play.

It's called progress..........In 1000 years or so, we will all speak some form of language and will all be a tan colour.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
poncho62 said:
ILLEGAL ALIENS....................all well and good.....But, How many Americans feel that all immigration should be illegal? Most immigrants are NOT illegal and they are still looked down upon.

We have the same thing going on here in Canada, so its not just an American thing.

I seem to remember stories from some old Indian about how the white man came along and stole their jobs (hunting) and moved into their land and took all their fringe benefits (buffalo)........................But, I guess turn about is NOT fair play.

It's called progress..........In 1000 years or so, we will all speak some form of language and will all be a tan colour.
Sorry, I think you're wrong. America was built on the melding of immigrants into one people. Legal immigration is not at issue here. We do not have problems with those who enter here through our legal processes. They swear allegiance to the US and disavow any allegiance to foreign governments when they become citizens. We have to accept that their oath is clear and from the heart.
The mass infux of peoples who have no intention of becoming citizens or having allegiance to this nation in any way is the problem. They are here because they want what we have not because they want freedom and the opportunity to raise themselves up. They do not have the internal fortitude to change the ways of their own countries but simply want a free ride. Our freedom and way of life was bought with blood and treasure. They want the treasure without the blood.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Trouble is...posters are going on and on about the immigrants (legal or illegal) customs and how they have no right to express them. You are right....The counttry was built on immigrants....and is still being built on immigrants, so you have to accept that things are going to continue to change. You can't just come along one day and say...."OK, all immigrants must stop their ways now, and must totally immerse into the culture that we have at this moment"

Or...You can't say...."Hey, that immigrant's custom is kind of cute, we will adopt that one, but the one where he wears that towel on his head.....No friggin' way"

It doesn't work that way............everything evolves........whether you like it or not. Things constantly change....for the better or worse.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
xntrik said:
This thread was intended to be about the creativity of the motivated human mind.

I'm almost sorry I started it.

Now it belongs in the lounge.
To the lounge...............

See...we listen you......sometimes................... :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
poncho62 said:
Trouble is...posters are going on and on about the immigrants (legal or illegal) customs and how they have no right to express them. You are right....The counttry was built on immigrants....and is still being built on immigrants, so you have to accept that things are going to continue to change. You can't just come along one day and say...."OK, all immigrants must stop their ways now, and must totally immerse into the culture that we have at this moment"

Or...You can't say...."Hey, that immigrant's custom is kind of cute, we will adopt that one, but the one where he wears that towel on his head.....No friggin' way"

It doesn't work that way............everything evolves........whether you like it or not. Things constantly change....for the better or worse.
I certainly have no complaint about legal immigrants continuing to celebrate their customs unless those customs are illegal in this country (female castration for example).
There are certain levels of civilized behaviour that citizens of this country are expected to follow and , for the most part, do follow after a period of acclimation. Those that do not might need a little push to wake up. Theose who are ILLEGAL alos need a little push...right back to their homeland.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.