Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
you can never know to much
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I was sitting here day dreaming about what I could do to my truck. And I'v always liked diesels, so I thought about the 4BT Cummins motor. I'v heard of people putting them in everything from Rangers, Scouts, ect.

Doesn't seem like the swap would be that hard to do, other than the motor mounts, and maybe suspension.

Specs: 3.9L four-cylinder weighs in at about 800 pounds, and is 30x23x31 inches

I'll probably never get to do this to the truck, as much as I'd like to. I think it would be neat just cause of the originality of it, the reliability, and the power wouldn't be bad either.

Basically this is just a discussion thread, Lookin' for your opinions, comments, ect. :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
I say, go for it. I personally know NOTHING about diesels. I read a series of posts over on ChevyTalk.org a few years ago about cars in Cuba. They put anything in anything, just to keep them running. Ever see a diesel in a 56 Chevrolet? The photos were in ChevyTalk. It was that kind of stuff, and was really different. Many years ago there was an early 60's Ford P.U. Truck here locally that had a diesel in it. I don't know really more than that, but when it went by, you'd look for the semi tractor. Huge exhaust pipe, and the sound just did'nt fit the truck. I'll bet it had some torque! The cost is going to be the biggest obstical of doing this, but if it's what you want, do it.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If I was to do that I would like to obtain a complete engine /trans unit from a truck that had a diesel in it..do not overlook the units from mercedes or Izusu as those seem to be pretty good. You will get a good fuel economy and good torque if you tow your race car..

Sam

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't aware there where other small diesel motors out there, other than the 4BT!

I may have to look into this more, cause it is something I'm interested in.. truck will need a motor eventuall, and I'm slowly liking this swap more than the SBC swap. :D

And I'm thinking it wouldnt be as hard as I first imagined.. still alot of work, but not like a complete frame off rebuild

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
matt167 said:
consider a 5cyl Mercedes Turbodiesel from a 1977-1985 MB 300D.. they would make enough to move the truck pretty decent. no rocket ship but decent fuel economy and go for 500k miles +
That isn't a bad choice either, but I'd say they are fairly rare?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
not rare at all.. find them all over the place in my area for $5-600... part what you can take off easy and scrap the rest when steel's up and you'll probably be close to having a free engine/ trans.. the vac systems and electronics develop problems on them and people sell them cheap. but the engines themselves are rock solid... if you really mixed and matched, you could find a 240D with the 4 or 5 speed manual, and that will bolt to the turbo 5cyl.. the 240D uses a doggy non turbo 4cyl and wouldn't be good

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
matt167 said:
not rare at all.. find them all over the place in my area for $5-600... part what you can take off easy and scrap the rest when steel's up and you'll probably be close to having a free engine/ trans.. the vac systems and electronics develop problems on them and people sell them cheap. but the engines themselves are rock solid... if you really mixed and matched, you could find a 240D with the 4 or 5 speed manual, and that will bolt to the turbo 5cyl.. the 240D uses a doggy non turbo 4cyl and wouldn't be good
Huh, guess I'v never really looked. I'll take a look around and see what I can find..

Almost free sounds REALLY good to me, cause that would mean only having to borrow/buy a welder, engine hoist.. and I'd like to have them anyway :thumbup:

I started off wanting to keep the 235, then wanted a small block Chevy, then after seeing how many of those are in these trucks, I wanted the 235 again.. I got to looking and there isn't many diesels (none that I could find actually). and I like diesels more than gas motors. :thumbup:

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
I think banks still makes turbo kits for the 6.2/6.5 engines... the later ones had some improvements to support a little more fuel and HP (you want a good free flowing exhaust to keep EGTs down, I'd recommend a gauge) but I don't think it'd be a major concern with either engine (newer ones or older ones) as you'll get about 300hp tops without a full on race build.

I personally LOVE the sound of the old 'screamin detroits. :thumbup: :evil: :thumbup:

4-53 detroit powered mid-70s GMC

the 4-53s sound like a 4/8 cyl... the 3s have a similar sound to the 6s. just my thoughts. 3-53= 3 cylinders, 53 cubic inches each.... 6-71= 6 cylinders, 71ci each, so on so forth with the old detroits

3-53 detroit in another GM truck.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
and are about the size and weight of a 454

That would be a problem in my truck, but would be a perfect swap for somebody with a newer/bigger model truck. :D

ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
I personally LOVE the sound of the old 'screamin detroits. :thumbup: :evil: :thumbup:

4-53 detroit powered mid-70s GMC

the 4-53s sound like a 4/8 cyl... the 3s have a similar sound to the 6s. just my thoughts. 3-53= 3 cylinders, 53 cubic inches each.... 6-71= 6 cylinders, 71ci each, so on so forth with the old detroits

3-53 detroit in another GM truck.
That has to be one of the best sounds in the world! I used to think the Cummins was, but I quickly changed my mind when I heard those! :D

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RPM said:
I see you are here in Knoxville TN. Me too. Contact Scott at Tn Diesel conversions.
They do all kinds of swaps with that 4bt.

Merita Bakery here in K town has a large fleet of 4bts in bread trucks.

http://www.tndiesel.com/

Glad to see more people from the area on here!

I'v never heard of TN diesel convesions.. thanks for the info.

I also didn't think about Merita Bakery.. I bet they get rid of trucks pretty often. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask them about buying one.. :thumbup:

This started out as a simple thought, and it's slowly (keyword) turning into a project, I hope.. :D

·
Ask me, Cause I don't know
250 Posts
Lots of 4BT's done. Here is a forum for just that.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

A Yahoo group is where that came from, the yahoo group is not used much.. I am on both... A lot of good info.

Engine weighs about as much as a Big Block. The major problem for some swaps it the turbo plumbing (pipe) goes over the top of the engine. That should not be a problem for your truck.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PapaG said:
Lots of 4BT's done. Here is a forum for just that.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

A Yahoo group is where that came from, the yahoo group is not used much.. I am on both... A lot of good info.

Engine weighs about as much as a Big Block. The major problem for some swaps it the turbo plumbing (pipe) goes over the top of the engine. That should not be a problem for your truck.
I actually found that site the other day, and there is A LOT of good info in there! :thumbup:

I didn't realize it weighed that much.. I'd assume the frame would have to be reinforced a little, and the suspension/axle out of a 3/4ton or above installed? :embarrass

C-10 said:
I think a 4BT would be pretty darn cool in the '50. A change of pace from just another SBC. You could always get your money back out of the Cummins if you get tired of it.
That's one reason I always like the idea. I went to a show a few weekends ago, and saw probably 10+ trucks, the same body style as mine. All but one of them had SBC's in them. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a SBC, but dare to be differant! :thumbup:

·
Registered
734 Posts
For a truck - once you go diesel you'll never go back!

Heck - I'd like to build some hot-rod cars with a diesel just to be different.

Noisy, loud and smokey (when you get on it), better fuel mileage - what more could you want?

For fun, Here's a picture of my 98 CC 6.5TD towing my old pickup...

·
Ask me, Cause I don't know
250 Posts
Look on the net. There is a diesel powered corvette a 6.2. A hot rod with a 4bt with a open engine view, A Monti with a 6bt in it. A s10 with a 6bt in it... A 50 Merc with a diesel.... Even some 5.7 olds out there.

I have had most all of them at one tiime 2 VW diesels, a old N/A rabbit and a TDI.... I loved them all. The Rabbit may have been the slowest one..

Current one is a 98 Dodge 2500, with a Cummins with over 300k on it... Last of the 12v non computer engines.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.