Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if I can cheaply and easily duplicate the effects of an older Firebird I once had.

It had a custom four link (with panhard bar) and to this day my brother still talks about that car because of the "action".

It was setup so that when it had slicks it stayed level in the rear, but with street tires the rearend would raise up in the air.

I know I can fab something up as far as mount pads for the trailing arms...if I just knew more about geometry of the rearend.

I can also make custom trailing arms so that will not be a problem(and maybe a blessing) if all I have to do is shorten or lengthen the uppers or lowers.

I am going to do a search right now... but any help I get is greatly appreciated.
-Thanks!

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
NXS said:
It was setup so that when it had slicks it stayed level in the rear, but with street tires the rearend would raise up in the air.
If this happened without any adjustment of the links, the slicks must have had a smaller diameter than the street tires.

When viewed from the side, the "instant center" is defined by the intersection of "lines" through the upper and lower links. If the instant center falls on a line which passes through the rear tire patch and the intersection of two other lines, one a horizontal line through the center of gravity and the other a vertical line through the front tire patch, the car will neither squat nor rise. If it is above this line, the car will rise; if below, squat.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Billy! That is what I was looking for. It would be great if you could post a pic(I'm visually orientated).

If I have a pic with 2 examples I'll be able to tune my suspension to my exact liking.

Once again, thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.