Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, im not sure if i can paint a good picture of what im looking for, but ill give it a try. I am in the process of making a fiberglass console, I have created a recessed panel for the radio and video monitor, but i would like to cover it with smoked plexi glass. Now here is the question, i would like the plexi to slide up and down with the flip of a switch, exposing and hiding the radio. Any thoughts as to what i should use to operate this motion would be greatly appreciated. (didnt want to go the small actuater route). The glass must slide approx 9 inches up and down. Thanks in advance for any help, im drawing a blank on this one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
you can use an eletric window motor that is track operated they work great and can be found at any junkyard.
I have used them many of times for just such a job as you are looking at and have not had any problems.
you could also mill gear teeth on the sides of the plexi and run it off a small electric motor like found in remote control cars.
either way will work it is just a matter of how much work you are willing to put into it.
I built a amp mount that raises up and down using the window motors and it handles the weight just fine.
one other thing I am working on right now is a vaccuum motor to raise and lower different panels kind of like the headlight cover on the old GTO's and vette's.Just planing it out right now but those vaccuum motor are cheap as well.
Hope this helps you out or at least gives you something to think about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey mickey! (sorry, couldn't resist)

mean machine has given good advice on possible motor sources. i'd personally use a small 9 or 12 volt hobby motor (radio shack) to do the job. window motors are very powerful, probably overkill for a small, light piece of acrylic like what you're using.

anyway, whatever you find to power it, here's a sketch of one mechanism that might work. by changing the sizes of the gears or pulleys, you can control how fast the window moves up and down. to change direction, just switch polarity on the motor (there are switches available, or circuits you can built to accomplish this).

the gear set will add torque to smaller motors. you can find them at better hobby shops. you'll need dowels or plastic rods for axles. use string or nylon cord for belts. pulleys can be found, or turn on a lathe, or scratch build from model railroader's supplies. make slots (maybe lined with felt?) to stabilize the window while moving.

another mechanism that might work is a worm gear, but i'd think it would be harder to build. good luck on the project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts