Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project vehicle is a 76 Terra (a small US made pickup for those of you born after 1970). ;). I want to build a sheetmetal tonneau cover for it. It will be hinged in front and will be supported by gas struts when open. Any pictures and ideas would be appricated. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I work with metal alot, fabricating very random things. But enough about me.
You're going to want to build some substructure, small square-tube steel is my personal favorite. Running spars along the outer edges that fit inside the bed and cross-struts are the way to go. 'Member, x-patterns are the strongest, but I wouldn't suggest one long x from front to back, put a center strut in and then put x's in those smaller areas. Two beams evenly spaced from front to back if the bed is really long (I was born in the eighties, I have no clue what that vehicle is).
This also gives you a solid mounting area for the gas struts.

Also remember, anything you do needs pictures posed here for us to gawk at!:thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a "before" picture. It is now in the middle of a total custom restoration.

Yes, I plan on using a 1X1" structure to support the lid. I know that at some point in time some *** hole is going to stand on it. I want to keep the weight down of course so I need to use the correct gage/support ratio.

The Terra is a version of the Scout II that was made by International. The Scout II was made from 71 to 80 but the Terra was only made from 76 to 80.

Thanks Gypsypoet! Your way ahead of the game.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome truck, is it an optical illusion or do I see more of that tree where I should see truck panels? Anyways, no problem, just making use of the skills I do have for 'roddin!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts