Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEAR TALENTED FOLKS

our team has been on a year long search to find the best valve covers for a small block chevy that money can buy. we need them in tall and with a 2 piece design but will settle for 1 piece if there really great...over the last year we have bought 6 pairs with the very best coming from springfield rods-someone here on the board sent us to.....they truley are the greatist we have found--but are 2 short for our application.....

can anyone please direct us to were we could find-buy-have built-anything short of steal , a really unique pair of sbc tall valve covers....they can be aluminum or chrome steel....prettyplease-we have all seen great pairs-but were do they come from...

a very big thanks in advance
alaskan :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YEP FOR SURE, THANKS; WE EVEN TRIED USING THE METAL MIDDLE DOUBLE DOUBLE GASKETS-BUT IT STARTS TO BECOME TACKY LOOKING AND I WORRY ABOUT BLOW OUTS....

SOMEONE TOLD ME TO GET ANOTHER PAIR OF THE SPRINGFIELDS--CUT OFF 2 INCHES AND WELD THEM TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OTHERS--GRIND---SAND---AND THEN RECHROME.....BUT THESE ARE SAND CASTS AND VERY POURUS AND I WORRY ABOUT THE WELDS HOLDING AND NOT CRACKING THROUGH THE CHROME AFTER THEY ARE RECHROMED .....ANYTHOUGHTS ON THIS AS WELL,,,,AS I AM NOT UP ON WELDING SANDCAST ALUMINUM....

THANKS
ALASKAN

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
It seems like any competent shop could make just what you need and even put in a personal touch of yours.

I'm curious, what is the reason?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If you take the covers to any competent welding/machine shop, they should be able to cut them and weld in an extension with a guarantee that they will not leak. I agree that the best way would be to get another set of the springfields, then the welder will be welding like metals together.

Another idea is to have the machine shop custom fabricate you a set out of aluminium, using the springfields as a template, just 2" taller. A good shop can easily make a one-off, attractive valve cover, in the 2 piece design you would like. You may have to send them off to be polished afterwards, but I think you would be happy with the results. I don't know any shops in your area, but listen to word of mouth, see if anybody has favorite fabrication shops.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have seen and owned at one time a set of valve cover spacers. They lift the valve cover about 2". They were cast aluminum.

I think they were used before tall valve covers were available. They are now an ebay or swap meet item.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS GUYS

Hi restor60's--thanks for the possible help---the height i am needing is a little under 5''---about the same height as a pair of eldebrock's finned elite series with the phoney black allein plugs on top--this is the height i need to reach to make this setup all work right....so i can run my tall roller rockers with the girdles and have a baffel-----at the same time--can your folks etch out the cover for a rubber o ring---the top plate on these 2 piese is very thick as well as the rest of the vc's are as well......thanks and let me know kind sir....your a prince

sbchevyfreak---no such shop here in alaska---believe me it has been a chore building this up here--with just my ship costs i could of bought a new engine....if you here of anyone let us know---thanks guy...

hey 1bad80--my friend---got them on and they do not work--it's the gasket i run all the time---and 2 go to 2 of them looks bad and as i said above--i worry about them blowing out......i sent you a e-mail today---talk with you soon...god bless get better....

evltwin---i am looking for these now---jegs has a pair for 100 bucks---anyone know how tall these are--someone told me they think they are only a inch or less talll----i also try e-bay---thanks for the tip..

thanks to all--someone must know
alaskan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.