Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut some square aluminum tubing, 1 inch x1 inch thinwall. Any suggestions on how to use my chop saw or table saw to get nice square ends ? Will an abrasive disc clog ? Carbide tipped saw blade with lots of teeth work?

Thanks Mike B

·
Brute force and ignorance.....
57 Posts
I'm in the process of building an aluminum boat and recently bought a 10" Chop Saw blade for cutting aluminum and non-ferrous metals at Home Depot. It was about 49 bucks. Be warned when you use it, wear eye and face protection, cause chips go everywhere!
TR

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
You can actually use wood working tools to cut aluminum. A miter saw with a carbide combination blade will do a very good job. I have seen guys run sheets of aluminum through a table saw. Kinda scares me.

Do protect your face and eyes though.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
weirdbeard said:
You can actually use wood working tools to cut aluminum. A miter saw with a carbide combination blade will do a very good job. I have seen guys run sheets of aluminum through a table saw. Kinda scares me.

Do protect your face and eyes though.

When I ran a alum shop, We would cut alum sheet's with a skill saw all the time..With a good blade.. :D

I PROTECTION IS A MUST !!!!! :pain:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I use my DeWalt chop saw with a metal abrasive blade to cut aluminum tube without any problems. Incidentally, I also recently cut these 1/8" thick (and approx 16x20 dimensions) aluminum inserts for my upholstery project using a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a normal abrasive cutting blade.

And as others have noted...wear eye protection. I always use a full face mask myself...I don't like collecting metal particles in my fillings.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Project Finished and installed

Thanks for all the suggestions, thought I should post the finished project..the prices I got for signs were RIDICULOUS...so I made up the frames and they came out ok...the acrylic was more of a challenge to cut then the aluminum..

Thanks again ...Mike B

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.