Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dong a power steering conversion on a 58 Chevy truck from The Truck Shop. The column tube is attached to the box, and want to keep the original column. So that means I have to cut the tube and steering shaft off the box. I'm using a 605 steering box with universal joints, and a DD shaft. My question is what do I do with the cut off column tube? I would think it needs a bearing and seal at the end. What is normally done?
Thanks for your advice

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
STRODDER said:
I haven't taken it apart yet. I'm putting a quote together for a customer. I wanted to know what to expect before I start it, and what to charge.
Most columns I've dealt with, have had sufficient length to shorten the shaft w/o resorting to sectioning a piece out of the actual outer tube itself.

That said, I could see the aesthetics being such that you might want to shorten the outer tube as well as the shaft within.

If you're dealing w/the original column, you may be able to replace the shaft- from just the rag-joint down- with an OEM (or The Truck Shop) P/S shaft.

That is, if there's even any difference between manual and P/S column lengths.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For future reference, yes you need a bushing or bearing at the bottom of the column. I usually make one from Nylon bar stock, available from most hardware suppliers. You can bore it for the steering shaft and turn it down to fit the inside of the column. A couple Pop rivets to hold it to the column and you are done. When you install the shaft, you will need a collar at the bottom to hold the shaft down against the spring at the top of the column. These are also a hardware item you can get at most good hardware stores. A dab of grease on the shaft, and you are on your way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.