Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Sunday i noticed that the larger clamp on the inner CV Joint boot is leaking... I cleaned the boot and throughly looked for cracks or tears and there are none. Just a very little grease being slung from around the edge (the larger end). I've looked at the clamp and the only tightening device seems to be a "pinch" adjustment in the loop. I haven't really try to mess with it, as i need the car on a daily basis and don't want to compound the problem without the time or parts to replace it if goes to crap. That is what next weekend is for, right!!!

Any suggestions or experiences that could help. If further pinching the adjustment doesn't seal it up can you replace the band clamp with another? I've looked at the split boot repair kits and the clamp in those looks even more useless. There is no noise or any sign of damage as there are no holes, or cracks in the boot.

I thought of getting a SS worm gear clamp, the sell them for clothes dryer connections, but i'm not sure?

Sorry for the rambling, and thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
go to the zone and rent a set of cv clamp pliers and recrimp the clamp, or just get a new clamp (stock type) pretty easy with the crimping pliers. The jone will return your money when you take the tool back.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think if try to tighten the OEM pinched boot clamp you will only make the problem worse. Either just keep an eye on it and watch for further detrioration OR replace the clamp with a large clamp as a dryer connection clamp(check for clearance for the screw bump in the clamp when it rotates) or a large tie-wrap pulled tight.
To replace the boot (the split boots are, as you noted, JUNK) requires pulling the shaft and dismantling the joint, then installing the new boot and re****embling the joint and reinstalling the shaft. This alone is justification to replace the shaft with a reman which has new boots and is ready to install.
But, wait until the boot tears or leaks severely, then spend an afternoon popping the old shaft out and slipping the new one in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.