Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im new here. I have a 454 I want to spruce up. It is a stock build other than intake manifold and I would like to squeeze a little more juice from it. The casting number is 14015445 Which says its a 1978'-1990 454.

Ive been looking at these top end kits from speedmaster, edelbrock, trickflow etc.

I just dont know what would be the most compatible and logical choice if I go this route. Also, if i do go with a kit like that what are some things I need to know for when I do the work. I wonder if I could get some advice on here.
Motor is in my 1972 El Camino.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
AFR (Air Flow Research) or Brodix.
Spend all of your money on the best heads you can afford. The Naturally aspirated power potential is contained in the heads. If the heads won’t flow it, then nothing else will overcome a poor set of them other than boost or nitrous.

BBC means cubic dollars to me. Have $1500-1800 ready and call AFR and Brodix -
Either will set you straight for something 600-800hp.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Nothing wrong with running peanuts if you only plan on a 4500rpm max.
Gear it to use that(400-500lbs) torque with a roller rv cam and put parts behind the engine that will hold up.
Lots if guys have done it to make a "cheap" reliable 500ft/lbs daily.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have used the Brodix Racerite heads many times. Affordable and will make 550hp with a streetable roller cam and 10.5 compression.
If you are not changing Pistons then getting the correct sized chamber to get the compression needed should be your first priority.

·
Registered
444 Posts
First thing you should be aware of is that not all big block heads fit all big blocks.....so be sure you buy some that are compatable with your block. They changed head gasket designs a few times.
Second, you need to know how much volume is above your piston when its at TDC. You have to get the quench right, or you will have problems. You also have to get the compression ratio right.
If you are going to use it as a daily driver, I'd shoot for a 9:1 CR so you can run regular gas. Probably lose about 15 HP. If you only use it as an ocassional driver, then limit to maybe 10.5:1

People like to brag about their compression ratio, but for daily driving you are better off with less compression. I have an LS3 480HP motor in an S10 and its going to take premium. It has a higher comp ratio but is computer controlled and has knock sensors.

I am also building a 500 Cad. Most of them had low compression....as low as 8:1 or lower. Lots of smooth torque, but not much top end. They had problems with the factory rocker arm design above 4500 rpm. I spent a bunch of money and have ported heads,shaft mount rockers, Johnson roller lifters, and will have a roller cam. I will be able to rev higher now, but still will only have either a 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression ratio. I want to drive it a lot, so I want it to be petrol friendly. Oh, it will have EFI as well.

The point is that you should build it so it works best for the use you have and not fall into the "more is always better" trap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.