Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im striping the paint down on my car with my 6" DA sander...

all the stores around here are out of sand paper and if they do have it in its like $7.99 for 6 peices. im trying to get the car bare metal and sanded with 120 grit to be primed with epoxy primer. i have goten about 1/3 of the car done but ive spent about $60 on sandpaper to do that... going to be more money then the dam primer.

is there a cheaper way of doing it? i got a angle grinder but with the speed of it i think it would heat up the metal fast and warp.

what do u guys use?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reading thread right below this one may give you an idea. Martin S, Barry K or Randy Ferguson may have better answers though. Me just a metal finisher kinda guy, but a shadtree body wannabee.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
A $1.32 for a DA paper sheet!
I'm not being a smart a** but when you guys going to learn you DON"T buy body supplies from an auto parts store because you are going to get F***&& every time!

You have been on here long enough to know better.

100-800 grit 6" stick-it DA paper for a roll of 100
.22-.30 cents a sheet in Mirka or Indasa.

80 grit is more. .25-.33 cents per sheet.

get on line or find an auto paint store.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Barry, sometimes auto parts stores can have some "decent" prices on abrasives. NAPA has Carborundum (sp?) paper under the name of "Red Diamond" forty cents a disc, no bargin but it is great paper. It can be a life saver for the guy who is many miles from a real paint store. :)

montea, I feel for you guy, especially if you are using something like "Econobody" Or "Refinishers choice" marketed by S-W thru NAPA stores and Sherwin Jobbers, that is the WORSE JUNK paper I have ever seen. Now, it sounds like you are using 3M by the cost, but you never know with those "retail packs", they are a SUPER rip off.

You could have bought a Roll of a 100 discs for half as much as you have spent at a real paint store as Barry said.

If you don't know where the store (jobber) is that supplies your body shops in town, go ask one. You really need to get to know the guys at the auto paint and body supplies store in town.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paid 20$ for a 100 of 80 grit stickit DA paper. This was for the cheap stuff, and it will do my whole car at least 10 times. If you want DA paper to last for the rest of your life, you can get the 3M pads, for about 75$.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
302/Z28 said:
Be careful about what you order online. I have a ton of sandpaper made in Portugal and India that isn't worth a %$#@. When you try and bend it around a sanding board it cracks and the abrasive comes off. Seemed like a real bargain on the net site.

Vince
Vince is right! You do have to know what your ordering and on top of that all the sandpaper companies have different grades!
3M has a white color as a cheap-line but it will take you ten rolls to do what the yellow does.

Best grades (mixed up)

Carbo-Red
Norton-Champagne (same as above)
Indasa-Red
3M-if your rich. yellow or reverse.
Sia-Velcro only.

Mirka--is pretty good but not as good as the above ones.

Myself I keep the garaged stocked with the Indasa and (Sia in one of air file items)
But I only use Velcro.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
What about HERE They carry 3m and other brands and all grades for not too bad of a price. Might be more convenient than if you have to travel miles to your local jobber.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
id do chemical strip, and then i do DA on spots that didnt get stripped and just to clean up metal after its washd and dried, then self-etching primer or epoxy primer, but self etching will last more and fight rust better, giving you better adhesion

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just bought 80, 120, 180, and 320 at Napa, though I did do a cash deal through the company I work for and really got a descent price. They are the 6" stick it gold rolls. Other than that try Eastwood, prices aren't too bad.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
I used a stripper first then went back with the 6" Da sander. Saved a whole lot of dollars on sand paper. The stripper was about 18 bucks a gallon at Advanced Auto. Let us know how she turns out.

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
I just went to a PPG seminar on Saturday and they said on the old metal that most of our cars are made of do not use the self etching primers, it is good on galvanized metal or aluminum, but with the pits that will naturally be in the older metal the acid will sit in there and will actually rust, they recommended using a quality epoxy primer instead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check at the bigger Hot Rod swap meets. In Daytona "Turkey Rod Run" on Thanksgiving weekend. They sell 3M paper by the pound - Usually $5 per pound. I picked up 5 lbs of 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit 3M for that price There is probably a big swap meet near you too.

49 T&C

·
Registered
2 Posts
cheap sandpaper sources

Hi guys....new member here and first post, so I hope I can offer some value with this comment. As a licenced bodyman (yes...it is a licenced trade here in Canada) who has changed occupations, I can tell you a few places I've had success obtaining quality abrasives for fair prices. First, check out some of the local woodworking and hobby shows. Although wood grit is different than auto finishes, I've found that the suppliers often have piles of everything at quite reasonable prices.
A second source, although maybe less convenient, is to stop by your local collision shop and ask around. The shops I worked at would occasionally have a guy stop in with an old station wagon packed with 'second run' abrasives. Usually the stuff was misprinted or had some flaw that made it unsaleable over the counter. Often this stuff made circulation in the trunks of peddlars for cheap prices. Lots of grinder discs, sticky pads, 8 1/2 X 11 sheets, etc. made their way onto the shelf this way. I hope this helps!

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Try going around to stores who supply body/paint supplies and ask them if they have any clearance or discontinued items. I bought two 100 sheet rolls of 180 da grit paper for $20 and this was Norton DA Paper. The store I bought it from discontinued it and just wanted to get rid of it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts