Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
axes wayy too many questions
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the placement of this thread is correct, but here goes.

The questions is regarding my daily driver, a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L Twin Cam. A few days ago, I noticed the engine was really really hot. After doing some freeway driving and stopping at the gas station, I started the car again, and the guage was nearly at the H, about 1/4 of the way past the line for normal (you know what I'm trying to say). This wasn't normal for the car, so I got out, and looked under the hood. I had a small leak in the radiator reserve tank. No problem, filled it to the line with some Anti-Freeze I had in the trunk, and made way to O'Rielys. They recomended an epoxy set to close the leak from the outside. Applied that, and refilled the tank again with the AF from the trunk.

Now, a week later, I'm having erratic Tempurature increases. Same deal, I'll drive for a while, heat the motor up and stop at a light, the guage will go back to the 3/4 mark and then drop once I've started driving again.

Could I have used the wrong rated AF? Also, I noticed a puff of white smoke from the exhaust after startup earlier today (after the car had been sitting for about 4 hours). I'm afraid to ask what the white smoke can mean...praying my head gasket is safe.

Please help!!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
First thing I would do is a pressure test of the cooling system and change the rad cap...use a factory cap not a cheapo aftermarket one. Fix the leak, I would replace the tank with a junkyard find or remove it and repair it properly by plastic welding...glues and epoxy's won't last long.

Most cooling system problems in newer cars are related to loss of pressure in the cooling system. Don't forget, mix your coolant 50/50!

·
axes wayy too many questions
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chuck.

The AF I used was already pre-diluted. Also, coincidentally, the tank started leaking from the same spot when I checked the level this morning. I've checked a few of the salvage yards around here, but none of the 99 Olds' have the 3.5L like my car does, only the 3.8L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.