Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 Silverado (big suprise. eh??) is giving me fits again with the dome light switches on the sides of the dash. The driver's side one was replaced rather easily about 6 months ago when the dome light stayed on constantly with the truck off. Now, the passenger side one is "flicking" the dome light on with the truck running, and I can tell that the pin part of the switch is extended too far out.

My question is, how and the blazes do I pull the old one out without removing the dash or the blower assembly to get to the backside of the switch? The driver's side was fairly easy to get at, but this one is mounted so that it's nearly impossible to get at. Can I just pry it a bit from the dash, and then crush and destroy the old one? Got any tips?

In a while, Chet.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Are you talking about the button in the door jamb?

Unless they have changed over the years, don't they just screw in from the outside.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
poncho62 said:
Are you talking about the button in the door jamb?

Unless they have changed over the years, don't they just screw in from the outside.

Doc here, :pimp:

I thought they pushed in from the front too..(press fit, and 1 wire) but it sounds like he found something different from when he changed the left side..(I remember that affair..)That's kinda why I asked for a quick pic..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

One of each would be good..

If they just push in from the front, where are you having the problem? you should just be able to pull the old one out forward, disconnect the wire, then reconnect it to the new switch , then push it back in the hole?? Does yours differ?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pics may not be the best quality (photography isn't a strong point of mine...) but here they are.

In a while, Chet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically, there's 2 sets of "ears" to hold the switch in. One "set" is what essentally holds the switch firmly to the dash, and the other "set" is I believe there to make life difficult for removal. Especially when the temps are in the low 20's. I have tried using a pick set, but when I get one ear pulled through the hole in the dash, the other one is just cocked to far off to allow me access to it. If I rotate it, I lose the first ear.

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

I'm assuming you can't just pull it forward without ripping up the plastic on the door frame side , Correct? cuz..It looks like all that holds them in is the pressure detents on the side of the switch.

Try maybe removing the glove box for access to the area, then see if you can squeeze the detents in, and push outward..

EDIT from your last post: If your only worried about tearing up the old switch, and the new will push in, without problem, go for it if you can do it without damage to the interior...you won't be needing the old switch..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
docvette said:

I'm assuming you can't just pull it forward without ripping up the plastic on the door frame side , Correct? cuz..It looks like all that holds them in is the pressure detents on the side of the switch.

Try maybe removing the glove box for access to the area, then see if you can squeeze the detents in, and push outward..

You are correct. I think I'm done messing with it for tonight, though. Fingers are about frozen, and I'm one pick jab away from a Ford repair kit.....

Thanks Doc.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
schnitz said:
You are correct. I think I'm done messing with it for tonight, though. Fingers are about frozen, and I'm one pick jab away from a Ford repair kit.....

Thanks Doc.

Good Idea! Go Get warm, Kick back with an adult beverage..toss in a DVD, and wait until it warms up in the morning..

On your other post..

They never do for me.. :mad:

then again, two small plastic ears shouldn't make much noise..could be a problem if the AC spits them out at your passenger though.. :D

Stay Warm & Dry..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update! I got it in....

And it came out in more parts than I care to count. See attatched pic below...

I gave myself a couple of extra days to warm up (and cool my attitude towards the truck :mad: :smash: )

I finally just bent one of my pics a bit further so that it actually stayed hooked to the inner guts of the old switch, and then just kept snapping that vintage plastic until I had it small enough to wiggle out. If only it had come out like the new one went in...

Thanks Doc.

In a while, Chet.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.