Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Well my question has to do with what type of car should I should buy next. I still live at home but go to school yet so my budget is pretty limited. My daily driver right now is a ford ranger with 536,000 miles on it. I think the truck is kind of warn out by now but i still need a way to get to college yet.
If i could put some comments on what i am looking for in a car I am hoping you can make suggestions on what I should get next.
Somethings to consider

I live in minnesota so winters are kind of harsh (just a side note my truck is a pain in the *** to drive on ice 2wd with manual trans)

Gas prices have gone up

I don't mind small cars

I don't mind if anyone suggests any type of import because i like both imports and domestic.

Things i am looking for (but maybe don't nessisarly need)

Manual transmission

AWD or FWD (something that can take minnesota winters)

No trucks (I have driven one long enough and i need the back seat)

Something with a little performance or has potential for a little performance.

I have a bike so i am looking for a car with a hach back or something i can use for my bike and possibly a canoe

So anyway thanks for taking the time to read this! All i am looking for is suggestions on different types of cars or what other people drive when they don't drive their hotrod
THANKS

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
I have to suggest either a Chevy Malibu or a Pontiac Grand Am GT. 99+ on both models.

I have a '01 Malibu and love it. Good milleage, great handling ( for a 4 door family sedan), and lots of trunk space with folding back seats.

The Pontiac is built on the same platform as the Malibu, so they have a lot of similarities.

Just throwing those out there.

Chris

P.S. - How the heck did you get 500K miles on a Ford Ranger?!?!?!?!?! What year is this ultra rare Ford?

·
Banned
431 Posts
a honda with a roof rack :thumbup:

P.S. - How the heck did you get 500K miles on a Ford Ranger?!?!?!?!?! What year is this ultra rare Ford?
i think he forgot to mention that he is on his 8th motor :D

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Ya know

I took a Suzuki Sidekick on a trade and it has turned out to be a good runner..easy on gas..4wd..back seat that lays down..little wimpy in the engine but it is willing..

Never thought of one until I got it but hey it works..friend of mine has had one for a long time and his has not broke yet..might be a good choice or at least something to look at..

Given the result with this one I certainly woud look at getting another one..

OMT

·
Registered
13 Posts
mid 90's civics or accords are reasonably priced, great on gas, reliable, good in the snow..blah blah.

I had a 92 Celica that I would have sold you, but I just sold it to a friend of mine.

Where abouts in MN are you??
The dealerships in Burnsville (by buckhill) all have some pretty good deals. I just picked up a 01 Catera, fully loaded with low miles for 12 grand. Also the dealerships off of Hwy. 81 in Brooklyn Park (pretty much all Morrie's dealerships) have some good deals as well. Check the star trib as well...the transportation thrifties has some good stuff. Let me know if you need anymore info.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I've rolled in a dodge omni and a ford festiva. Say what you will, but I play upright bass and I could fit that big bastard in there because of the hatch back! Cheap on gas too. The omni was the better of the two cars, actually with the five speed and 2.2 it had a surprising amount of power!

K

·
Registered
177 Posts
A Subaru is the obvious answer to your question. Plenty of power, full time all wheel drive. Good little cars. 3-400,000 miles is not abnormal with just basic maintenance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's a couple of ... slightly used, WRX's floating about, I'm sure the owners would part with them for a very reasonable price.;)

In all seriousnes an older subaru wagon would do well for you. CRX's aren't too bad, and if you want something capable of performance, an early 90's eclipse GSX or eagle talon would do nicely: AWD, 4 cylinder turbo, 5 speed. Usually can pick a not too ragged version for about 4-5, at least around here you can, and I think they're hatchbacks, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
i think he forgot to mention that he is on his 8th motor

Actually the truck is on its second engine
the first one was replaced 213,000 miles
transmission is origional and is kind of showing its age with the syncros not working very well.
it is a 90 ford ranger 2.9L 5 speed that was a parts delivery truck for napa (it doesn't have the hat thank god)

I like the GSX Mitsubishi 1G but i am afraid my insurence is going to sky rocket so that car might be put on hold. If i got this as a car i think i would have way too much fun tricking it out.

I like the subaru wagon idea as well but i am having trouble finding information on the (or i should do more looking)

I have though about swallowing my pride and buying a honda civic because there are a lot of junk yard parts for them and they are a dime a dozen.

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where abouts in MN are you??
The dealerships in Burnsville (by buckhill) all have some pretty good deals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live near the burnsville center and have looked at their cars and like you said they do have their deals once in a while

thank you for all the ideas!!
and if anyone else has more ideas keep posting!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts