Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!
I have a 1969 camaro > I just put new pionts,dist cap, wires, plugs, carb rebuilt,
new roto,it geting sparks at pionts, the plugs. I try to bypast the igniton switch,
the engine turn over fine. it geting gas also
any ideals would sure help
thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI!
thanks for answer my ad.Yes i did check
for spark it geting sparks at all the plugs. points also. just wondering if it
could be bad gas. or could be the neutral
safety switch.little history before i did
all this work it was very hard to start
after it set for a few days. no gas smell
I appreciate all your help
gene

·
Registered
71 Posts
a little more info would help. I understand you basicaly replaced the whole ignition system and did some work on the carb.
Dose it turn over or......?
dose it even want to catch?
Have you tried checking the timming?
Hope ya get it running soon.
Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
simplicity at it's best .... sadly i've done both. checked firing order i've misplaced wire's wouldn't start. also if you had the distributor out be sure to check for corect timming if you 180 out it'll want to start but won't do it

·
Registered
397 Posts
ridener, it is not your neutral safety switch. The switch will cut off starter if your shifter is not in Park position. All your lights will work, but nothing will happen to the starter circuit.

If the engine turns, then like everybody else said it could be the firing order. I had the same problem, even with the gas shooting through the carburetor upward.

Align your timing park on the dampener (either by cranking the engine or by hand - I could pull on my alternator belt to rotate it), pull the distributor cap off and see where the notch is which will point you to the 1st plug. Then go from there in clockwise direction.

On mine one wire was messed up, the engine will try to catch and then nothing.

Good luck,
Denis
'67 Camaro RS

PS maybe, someone has a better way of doing it.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
There is a better way of doing it, throw the points away and get a pertronix conversion unit and let all the problems be solved at once. as far as Ignition systems are advanced now, I`m amazed to still here of people playing with points. as David Vizard said "even on a budget, points systems just aren`t worth it"

·
Registered
207 Posts
are you sure its getting fuel? maybe try priming the carb just to rule out fuel, if it trys to start ignition is not your whole problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts