Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you be afraid of a car with a damage disclose and a previous salvage title ??? The 2000 Alero GLS I'm planning on buying in a few days has that. I probably will still buy it, but that explains the Razzi rear spoiler. Cheaper then the factory stock one. Anyways, as long as everything was repaired properly, I don't think it'll be a issue. What do you think, would it kill the deal for you ??? I'm going too try too get them too come down on the price. Gotta love carfax. We really like this car, it's everything we want in a daily driver. Body-style we like, V6, 2dr, auto, and only 41,000 miles. Am I looking for trouble if we get this one ??

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nightfire said:
ditch the alero

get the black t-bird in the back

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike
2 problems with that, (1) It'd be out of my price range. (2) It's a Ford.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Take it for a drive. If it drives well, buy it. Those cars don't have crap for resale anyway so who cares if it had a salvage title when you sell it in 10 years.

K

3,214 Posts
The fact that there was damage would not concern me. What would concern me is what kind of damage it had, and how it was repaired. A few years ago, I worked in a used car lot. The owner went to an auction and bought, if I remember right, a Honda Accord. When he got it to the shop, I put it on the lift to start checking it out for resale. I found that the car had originally been 2 cars, front from one, the rear from another. There was an obvious seam right between the front seat mount bolts. The seam was even cracking from the trip from the auction. That car was taken back to the auction by rollback.

Just knowing that there was damage does no good if you don't know what was damaged.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
It may be something as simple as a theft.If someone stole it and wrecked it,the insurance company may have salvaged the titl.It looks as if that was the case the bodyshop or person who repaired it did good at fixing.Test drive it,check the wear on the tires if not new for alignment problems.Lift any plastic parts underhood to chrck for paint mismatches.Good luck.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
It doesn't take much to need a salvage title these days. If it doesn't pull to the left or right and the panels line up then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
adtkart said:
The fact that there was damage would not concern me. What would concern me is what kind of damage it had, and how it was repaired. A few years ago, I worked in a used car lot. The owner went to an auction and bought, if I remember right, a Honda Accord. When he got it to the shop, I put it on the lift to start checking it out for resale. I found that the car had originally been 2 cars, front from one, the rear from another. There was an obvious seam right between the front seat mount bolts. The seam was even cracking from the trip from the auction. That car was taken back to the auction by rollback.

Just knowing that there was damage does no good if you don't know what was damaged.
Interesting story... seems like you know your stuff about cars Z3, check it thoroughly!

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Ditto on what Adkart stated. I was rear-ended at 50 mph sitting at a traffic light. When the guy hit me, I hit the stopped car in front of me. Double damage. It was in a Chevy Citation. I bought the car back from the insurance company for pennies. Another guy bought it from me for a considerably sum (he ran a body shop) cut the rear half off, added another rear half including roof, repainted it, and sold it for quite a sum of money. So if anyone would look underneath it had a weld going all the way across. To the person that bought it, you would never know it was ever in a wreck. I wouldn't mind body panels replaced but when the frame / unibody is being put back together then I would steer away from it. Z3...take it for a few hours, get it on a lift and go over it with a fine tooth comb. On the other hand, if it was in a wreck just bad enough to pop the airbags then it will carry a salvage title. Also any flood damage will carry a salvage title, or should. Good luck and let us know. BTW...make sure the airbags are there. When you turn on the ignition the airbag light should flash then go off. If it does not come on at all then beware. Of sit behind the wheel and smack the center of the wheel as hard as you can. If the bag goes off then you know it was working. LOL!

Kevin

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I have been in the used car business for 15 years. My brother owns a lot adjacent to my shop.

I would be very leery of a car with a branded title. If for any reason, you don't like the car, you are going to have a tough time getting rid of it. The salvage title will absolutely kill it's value.

I would have to think that there should be a few of those cars around, as a matter of fact, Scott, my brother has had several of them so I know you can find one that ain't been smashed.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
pass up the deal

I would NOT mess with it at all. But that T Bird behind it looks interesting. The car has been wrecked and totaled and brought back form the dead...so I'd pass on it FAST! The car is worth, maybe 1/4 of its value if it was not salvage.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Just because the car has a salvage or rebuilder title doesn't mean that it has been totalled. It doesn't take much a car to be issued a salvage title. Most banks won't loan on a salvage title or rebuilder title car. When I worked at the bodyshop, that is what the owner specialized in, was rebuilders....buy them cheap, fix them cheap and resell them for good $$. If you have any questions or doubts, call the DMV and ask them what it takes to get a salvage title....It has to go through a pretty detailed inspection to get retitled. Then call a bank and ask them about borrowing for a rebuilder...they probably won't do it. Then call the insurance company and ask them what the minimum would be to total out that car....I'll bet its a pretty low $ amount.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
Nightfire said:
ditch the alero

get the black t-bird in the back

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mike

LOL :thumbup:

Thats the same thing I told him to do over on N-body.net. Thats too damn funny.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Malibucdl said:
LOL :thumbup:

Thats the same thing I told him to do over on N-body.net. Thats too damn funny.

Chris
Can't do the T-bird. (1) it's out of my price range. (2) It's a Ford and I just couldn't bring myself to that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My s10 had a salvage title. Basically it was some damage to the passenger door and front area. It was never an issue in the 10 years I had it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, we bought it. This car runs and handles like a dream.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Good luck with it man,hopefully it was an insurance thing like a theft with no damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 03 Blazer had a salvaged title, I bought it for 5,000 loaded and sold it for 6,500. Ran and drove awesome!

Salvaged cars can be great, but just be wary of who you are buying them from....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts