Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have dana 44 that was blowing oil out the driver side axle. I check all over the rear could not find a vent. So I install a vent in the upper fill oil hole on this cover and run the hose up to the back of the cab. Man I was shock about how much pressure was in the rear. After driving oil leaking out the hose. Should I drill a hole in the rear cover off to the right side as close to the top. And try vent it there. Any thoughts / what you think. "O" the 1st pic I vented like this it leak when driving, the other pics long hose to the cab.

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
20,462 Posts
Location where you have the line now is nearly right in line with the ring gear, so the hose is going to collect thrown off oil from the rotating gear and tend to spew a lot more out of your vent hose.

Typical factory vent locations were either on the top of an axle tube or the top of the casting where the axle tube is pressed into the center case.....a lot less windage in those locations.
Often a special hollow bolt with a nipple that also held down the distribution block for the brake lines against the tube, Ford used that a lot.
If you want to put a vent in the cover, put it over near the cover bolt at the 2 o'clock position to try to avoid as much windage thrown oil as possible......but an axle tube is a better location to avoid windage

·
Registered
139 Posts
definitely install on the axle tube. I had to move mine because I installed a rear sway bar on my 65 F100 and the brake lines had to be moved. Eric is correct. Ford used a bolt with a hole in it to secure the brake tee onto the axle. you do not need a large hole. I took the ball out of a grease fitting and used that.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
axle tube is easier.
Vents in the rear cover need to have a baffled construction to keep from ring gear from throwing the oil out, like seen in the Ford 8.8 IRS covers

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
Pretty much anywhere you put the vent in the center part of the rear end is going to push oil out. You need to vent it somewhere outboard of the bearing caps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies, I went back under the truck to look gain no sign of a vent tube or hole on tubes. I have new bearing and seals on both axles because of the old seals linking. Then learn about venting the rear. I would have never thought it would be this much pressure in the rear to go all they way up to cab window. Really don't like the axle's tube and to pull the axle back out to tap it. There's not enough rear room to try drilling a hole on the pinion side unless drop the leaf springs and rear. I thought the cover would be easy to. Will do what is best, The pic - what do you think about in this location where my finder is. "O" i did change to this cover a few months ago this when the problems started. I did not notice a vent on the old cover and find it now. the oil spot is from where the end of the hose is.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
axle tube is easier.
Vents in the rear cover need to have a baffled construction to keep from ring gear from throwing the oil out, like seen in the Ford 8.8 IRS covers
wow the ford cover is nice.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,699 Posts
That second pic. The bolt through the brake block is usually hollow with a vent on top.

Russ

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Windage is a problem. I can't remember where I saw it, but a guy in a video had a plexiglass cover made for a rear end. I is crazy to amount of oil moving around with the ring gear. It almost sucks all the level away to a large donut that is rotating at ring gear speed.
Unless you plan on running it in mud or water, the hose thing isn't needed. Go to a truck garage and get a mushroom vent, like use on an Eaton transmission, they have one that is 1/8" pipe. Drill and tap the tube between the casting and the brake flange.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man I had started drilling the cover, I was thinking drill bit dust may get in the rear axle if was to tap it. I do have few of the trans vents. This has been driving me nuts. I look all over this rear no vent. I did think about tapping the tap side to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Drill a hole in the top of your axle tube. Tap then thread in a barb fitting with a bit of silicone on the threads.
Run your vent hose all the way up to the firewall next to all your other vents or the top of your roll cage if you use a snorkle and goggles.

Next time you change your bearings/diff fluid from running in the mud/water blow compressed air through the thing and drag a magnetic pickup tool along the bottom of the housing to grab the shavings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Windage is a problem. I can't remember where I saw it, but a guy in a video had a plexiglass cover made for a rear end. I is crazy to amount of oil moving around with the ring gear. It almost sucks all the level away to a large donut that is rotating at ring gear speed.
Unless you plan on running it in mud or water, the hose thing isn't needed. Go to a truck garage and get a mushroom vent, like use on an Eaton transmission, they have one that is 1/8" pipe. Drill and tap the tube between the casting and the brake flange.
Man now seeing it help me really understand.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,699 Posts
You've got everything you need except the correct bolt:

HTH,

Russ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I had started to tap the cover before, I seen some of the info here. Where the blue tape is right where the vent is inside the rear. Working on some type of baffle.
There's enough room for the baffle so it don't hit anything.

If this don't work, I will go head and pull the axle and tap the axle tube and see if can vacuum out the drilling shavings. Let me no what you guy's think. I can make the baffle wider or longer. Or do with out a baffle.

Thanks Russ and every 1 for the help.

I had change the axle seals and bearings 2 times messing with this man this sucks

Attachments

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,699 Posts
You don't have to tap anything, the threads are there. Pull that bolt, it doesn't have anything to do with the brake system other than holding the brake distribution block in place. Note the thread size/pitch, there are numerous places selling the vent bolts.

Russ

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You don't have to tap anything, the threads are there. Pull that bolt, it doesn't have anything to do with the brake system other than holding the brake distribution block in place. Note the thread size/pitch, there are numerous places selling the vent bolts.

Russ
I don't think the bolt for his line goes into the tube, looks like a bracket welded to the tube.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guy's yes bracket is welded to the tube no threads. No holes no venting any where. I just don't get this all this time, I never had any problems before, But I did change to this cover, Can't find the old 1 not sure if the old cover was vented. Ad 1st I use the oil fill hole as a vent it leak out the hose, So I extended the hose to the the back of the cab it still leak.
So the silver hose bub install kinda on the side of the rear cover I just did and the little baffle. The top of the rear cover, is where the black AN fitting is - this is were i tried to air vented and leak - oil fill.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts