Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if I sound naive guys, but I am just a guy trying to build a mild hot rod with limited knowledge. I have what appears to be a Dana 44 rear end on my recent purchase of a 1957 Chevy truck 1300 series. I plan on installing a 327 or 350 high performance engine on this truck. The rear end does have 44-1 stamped on the housing. My question to all of you rear end experts is: Is this rear end worth rebuilding and making it a positive traction or should I look for another rear end? All responses are appreciated as your suggestions have been indispensable in my quest of building my truck. Again, Thank you very much for your help and support. I will be posting photos of the rear end cover this afternoon after work.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a 44 in my camaro, and IMO its a great rear-end. However, in agreement with everybody else, the 60 would be a much stronger rear, so if you're looking into a rebuild, you might just want to look in to dropping a 60 in instead. The 60 will also be able to handle taller gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.