Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was too good to be true. After having meticulously prepairing my truck to a nice flat smooth surface. Cleaning my garage for a week to avoid dirt gremlins. VERY carefully applying 3 coats of Urethane base then 3 coats of clear coat, letting it cure for 24 hours, I did a boo-boo. I found a thin spot of clear and rubbed right through it to the base coat...and it's RIGHT in the middle of my dash!

Please tell me it can be fixed easily...or can it? :(

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
won't be as easy as it sounds, but won't be fort knox difficult. Feather the clearcoat with some 320-400 wetsanding paper then spray a coat or two of clear over it. serpassing the featherd edge will give you the ability to buff the overspray off and have a flat smooth serface on your dash :D

HK

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the basecoat has changed color somewhat from the rub through another approach to the repair may be necessary. First prep the area with 600 or higher wet or dry paper. Then dust some of your base coat over the rubthrough and blend out a little. Don't apply it wet or it may react with the clearcoat at the rubthrough area. Take your time and allow adequate dry time. Finally reclear the area with your clear. Over thin itand blend out. Let it dry well then you can rub it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts