Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My google-fu is a failure. I've been trying to figure out what to do about adding a windage tray to a SBC 383 stroker built using the Dart SHP block. The issue is that the SHP block uses a special set of ARP main studs for their journal caps that don't have provisions for mounting windage trays. How does one get around this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The studs don't have enough treads left over to mount a try.

I've looked at the pans that have the trays built in, but I have 2 objections to them: The first is the cost. Having a tray mounted to the inside the pan adds $200 to the pan. That seems pretty absurd. The second issue is that you can't adjust the height of the tray. I'm not sure if setting the height is that big an issue, but it does help avoid clearance problems.

(I should mention it's a post '86 1-piece RMS block, passenger side dipstick.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'm just going to fab it -- Get a stock pan, beat it to clear the stroker crank, and find an inexpensive tray and weld it in using measurements from the bottom of the block to set the clearance. Save a couple of hundred $$$.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,677 Posts
That's exactly what I do. Copy an expensive pan and use it for myself. I don't sell or anything but it saves money and I kinda like the tedious work. Some days anyways.

Beware cheap pans also use thinner gauge steel and if you can, bolt to a old block or jig or something to keep the welding heat from moving things around too much.

Also be sure to start with the pan with the right seal cause I did that once. It sucked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the Kevco pans. They look like a good starting point. I also found this article informative:

whats a windage tray do? | Grumpys Performance Garage

I think the key here is not to overthink it. I also looked at the Moroso crank scrapers. I'm not real crazy about sandwiching them between the block and the pan. Seems like a leak waiting to happen. But you could weld them along the edge of the pan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was a little intrigued by the half windage screen used in one of the example pics. (The other half being solid.) If it worked, it looked like it would be stiffer and less prone to accidentally bending it during installation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That GM piece is the old school way of doing it, and what I had in mind initially. The problem is that studs are now the way to go for your journals. I could get a set of studs that have the windage thread extensions, but it would mean mixing and matching the main journal studs with two different manufacturers of fasteners. I'm not sure why ARP isn't offering a solution, but there you are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ARP's are very pricey. My proposed build has them on the wish list -- $270 worth of them for the heads and main journals. (The rods come with them already.) To be honest, I don't know if they are really needed for a moderate street build (500HP level). But you pretty much never hear of an ARP failing.

Modifying a pan is sounding better to me. Adding baffles and gates would be no big deal. I got a TIG and a MIG. Might as well use them for something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that's interesting. Wasn't really looking for a kick out, but otherwise it fits the bill and at a decent price to boot. They didn't say much about the required oil pickup. I'm also wondering if it will clear a 2nd gen F-Body.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Unless your actually racing the only thing worth adding is a baffle in the pan to prevent acceleration forces making the oil climb up the pan away from the pickup, windage trays and scrapers do next to nothing except at very high rpm.

All of these things are mostly magazine eye candy, the factory installed baffles in oil pans are all you ever really need...if you have an older engine without them buying a pan with them is cheap insurance...weld a custom type in if you want but crank scrapers...waste of time and money.

There is actually a lot of research that illustrates that crank scrapers actually trap oil above them in the rotating assembly hence why you rarely see them on a road race car where the rpm is constantly changing and g-forces exert side loads which can pool oil above them.

Lots ado about nothing, a simple baffle is all you ever need for a hot street car...leave the contraptions for the racers who need something specific to solve a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Granted there's not going to be a large HP gain with a screen. But it's primary role is to keep and help return the oil back to the pan.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My google-fu is a failure. I've been trying to figure out what to do about adding a windage tray to a SBC 383 stroker built using the Dart SHP block. The issue is that the SHP block uses a special set of ARP main studs for their journal caps that don't have provisions for mounting windage trays. How does one get around this?
Buy a pan with windage tray and scraper built in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts