Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a dash bezel that had wood trim covering it when i pulled it off it left a glue similar to rubber cement all over the bezel. does any one have any one have any ideas how to remove the goo. iv tried goo begone but it justs gums it up. i don't want to use anything to harsh because i don't want to damage the plastic.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
About the only thing strong enough to remove the residue without harming the plastic is paint thinner (mineral spririts) not lacquer thinner. Test an out of the way area of the dash with whatever you are going to try and see if it's safe to use.

Viince

·
Registered
306 Posts
Chances are that wood trim was held on with contact cement. Check with a local shop that makes laminate (Formica) countertops, and ask them if they can recommend a contact cement solvent. Heck, if you offer to buy a cup of the solvent they use, they'll probably give it to you. (Take a jar with a screw on lid with you just in case.) :mwink:

As was suggested before, try any solvent on the back of the bezel first to make sure the solvent doesn't damage it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would give denatured alcohol a try in most cases it removes adhesives with a rag and a little elbow grease with out harming plastics or rubber. But as stated before try a test panel first. I use denatured alcohol for a first pass cleaner on just about everything the stuff works well.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Wd 40

(I am a dingtbat!)
spray the paper towel with wd40 till soaking wet
lay the paper towel on the glue and let it soak 10-20 minutes
then scrub with a nylon pad

(went back and read my post...didn't make sense to me....and I wrote it!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Im shocked to hear that 302 about the ketones in denatured alcohol. I was unaware of that when i was into nitro rc cars thats all we used cuz it worked so good and didnt harm any of the rubber or plastics. Unless there are different formulations? I am not quite sure what the denatured part od alcohol is all about but i thought it was similar to isopropyl alcohol just didnt flash as quick or dry out your seals and things. I guess i'll have to be more careful in using denatured alcohol for the past few years thats been my number 1 all purpose cleaner.

·
Registered
306 Posts
In the limited internet-based research I've done, I gather that the difference between Iso-propyl alcohol and Denatured alcohol are pretty basic.

Denatured alcohol is the same ethanol found in beer, wine, and spirits, but poisonous and foul tasting additives (like acetone, methanol, and sometimes even gasoline) are put in it specifically to keep people from drinking it. According to a doctor who posted to one U.S.Government website, some of these additives can cause blindness or possibly death if you're macho enough to drink the stuff anyway. Because of these additives, denatured alcohol is not reccommended for prolonged skin exposure. Hope you were wearing gloves when you filled your RC car's fuel tank. Denatured alcohol is generally used for cleaning and sterilizing medical equipment, and not on the patient.

Ethanol makes a fabulous fuel because of its volitility. There are special camping lamps and stoves designed to burn ethanol (or denatured alcohol,) and it is also the basis for some of the alternative fuels we see being pushed for use in our cars.

Iso-propyl alcohol is synthetic alcohol that is specifically formulated to be safely used on the skin. It is not ethanol, and will not make you drunk, just sicker than a dog if you try to drink it. It's also dilluted with water to about 70% strength, which might explain why it's a rotten fuel for RC cars and such.

Sources:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00102.htm
http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/alcohol.html

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The typical fuel for R/C cars and R/C aircraft is a mixture of methanol, lubricitating oil, and nitro methane. I am not aware of denatured alcohol ever being used in R/C engines. The level of nitro methane varies from none to as much as 75% to 80% for competition engines.

Vince

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your right 302 i used 20% nitromethane with oil blend. I used the alcohol for cleaning the motor and frame and all the other car stuff on them. I was told by alot of the other hobbiests that it wouldnt hurt my seals or rubber. Ive never had any problems with using it but i'll be more careful in what i use it for from now on thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Contact cement, if that's what is still left, will be removed easily with mineral spirits, and won't hurt a thing. (look at the instructions on a can of contact cement)

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The first thing to assume is that they used contact cement to glue it down. If that's the case, use mineral spirits to loosen the glue. Start with the simplest thing first. If that won't do it, proceed to the next step. Good luck.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.